A general effects question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jiant., Apr 14, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I was just wondering if running my bass through one of my guitarist's digitech pedals would give me an idea of how said effect would sound if it were the "bass" version. I really want to try some different stuff on some lines I wrote, but I'm not sure what effects I want to use, and therefore I don't know what I want to buy yet. Thanks and God Bless.
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, sure - if you don't know anything about effects, then it'll definatly give you a good idea.

Guitar effects tend to not have enough low-end response, so if it sounds a little thin, you'll know probably why that is.

One big difference that I can think of in a bass effect is my Boss CEB-3 chorus - the CEB has a control that lets you only chorus the highs, or the mids and highs. If you turn this filter control full-CW, it's like a regular full-range chorus, but then you'll hear one of the disadvantages there can be with chorused bass - having the low-freqs surge in volume as it sweeps. With the control between 7:00 and about 11:00 you don't have this side-effect.

I really like mine.

3. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, so I'm guessing all guitar effects will differ like this. Thanks for the info. I'm really looking to try out some phazer/ synth stuff, anyway I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks again and God Bless.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're different designs, so the sound will resemble each other somewhat, but remember it'll give you an idea of what the pedal does, but that's bout it.