Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a general question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    anyone here just stick with one brand/style of bass?

for example, anyone just play Jazz basses and have a few to choose from? JT has his collection of Conks, but they vary in style.

i played a couple of different musicman basses this weekend as well as some other stuff like a schecter and whatever else. the fender jazz basses are really the only ones that 'feel' right to me. i am even considering getting a 5 somewhere down the road. :rolleyes:

thoughts? abuse? bile?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have ONE Fender bass(though I have the parts to now "build" another)-
    With the sole exception of my very first bass('72 Epiphone which I still have), ALL of my other basses are Fender-style or clones(Music Man, Schecter, + all my homemade jobs). Different pickup configs, to be sure.
    Does this count? ;)

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    All my basses are different. Why have more than one...of the same design? :)

4. I used to have 10 basses and they were all different, then I sold them all except a couple so I could buy a house. At that point, I had my two Rumblefish and I was like "You know, I can only play one bass at once, why not find a good one, get a duplicate as a backup, and call it a day?" Well, that worked for a couple of months. I found that '77 Carl Thompson which has become a money pit, and I now have a severe case of G.A.S.
    There are just too many cool basses out there to stick with one. I'm trying though!

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I play 2 basses (Carvins). One fretted 5 and one fretless 5. I used to have 13, but since I only really played 2 (one fretted & one fretless) I've sold off most of them.
    Oh yeh. I have an upright too, but I'm not that good on it and it's too big to take to gigs (at least for the 1-2 song I'd play it on.)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...well, that's a good question! ;)
    Really, as I alluded to, some of the basses may have a J-J, a P-J, two soapbars, active, passive, blah, different wood, blahblah. What I have kept constant(& intentionally, I believe)is the shape of the body & the NECK...I really went to great pains/expense to make sure all my necks are pretty much the same.
    Not that I jump from instrument to instrument, but IF I do, I want to feel "right at home" immediately & not feel like I gotta re-learn everything 'cause the angle, neck width, weight, yadda is different.
    ...make sense?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hear ya about the necks, JimK, but I'm just the opposite.
    I play upright (41" scale!), as well as a 35" five string, a number of 34" scale basses, a 30" scale Dano Silvertone, a 25" scale (!!) Supro Pocket Bass (not to mention the neck profiles are all over the map)...I have no real issues with jumping from one to the other. Only problem I have is learning a song on the 5 string and then trying to play it on the upright without working out new fingrerings in advance (ha ha).

I guess the reason I have so many is each one does something unique which the others don't. If I had to narrow it way down, I guess I could live with an upright and a P-bass, but at that point I couldn't imagine lusting after more P-basses, ya know?

8. I have two basses, one Fender American Std. 5 String Jazz, and one Ibanez... if/when I get another one I'm going to probobly build it myself

9. Well i've never had more than one bass. My first bass was a black Yamaha. Man it screamed, plus it was light. It was fairly "old" yet it was top of the range.. until it got stolen :(. I'd give anything to have that back. I now have and XB500 5 string Washburn.

I tend to choose rugged basses, simply because i am in two metal bands and the bass gets caned. I also like the fat pounding sound rather than some of the other "fresher" basses i've tried in the shops. Plus, after going to numerous gigs, the most common style of bass was the Washburn so it only seemed fitting! :D

Merls

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Although the Jazz or Jazz style is my favorite, I like to have a variety of basses and tones available, and so far I've managed to stick to my rule of only having one bass of one brand, so far Pedulla, Fender, Ibanez, Peavey and Electra-Westone. I might have a Gibson before long, if I can swing it financially.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i remember, back in Tha Day, when i got my first conklin, how i wished that other companies made 7 stringers so that i could get a variety of instruments. as i started acquiring more conks (i like that :D) i began to realize that he would do things anyway i wanted, so i could get a real variety of styles.

still though, i am jonesing for a cool heavy metal style bass. i'm telling ya, one of these days i'm going to get bill to built me that 9 string flying V with the 3 music-man style pickups. sorta like the big, ugly, harley-bit$h sister of a les paul black beauty. but flying v. neon. red.

yeah...oooh...ahh...(drools). excuse me, my pants are getting tight. :eek:

btw, welcome brian rost! good to see you here.

12. *coughs and splutters* "OMG! did someone vomit 80's???"
    lolol

Flying V is so nasty , check out a band called Immortal, the bassist has a nutty guitar, its all sharp spiked edges. sorta like an ESP explorer guitar but more indepth. Very Gothi, very much "I want one!" :D