Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Gift of Meat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nanook, Dec 20, 2002.

Which meat would you like as a gift?

Poll closed Dec 26, 2002.
  1. Smoked Salmon

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Reindeer Sausage

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Moose Hot Dogs

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Deer Jerky

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Road Kill (cheap and lots of variety)

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well, as usual, I have waited until the last minute to do my Christmas shopping. Just got a catalog in the mail yesterday advertising meat as a gift and it sounds like a good idea.

They had smoked hams, cured hams, smoked salmon, venison roast, alligator stew, buffalo jerky, etc.

Since I can't think of any better idea and since there is no time left to order anything, I have decided to but the meat locally but I need some help deciding. Since it will be way cheaper in bulk, I will have to get all the same kind.

Listed below are the meats I have found locally. Help me decide, which of these meats would you prefer as a gift.

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..how fresh is the roadkill?

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Whooooaaa ....... how wrong can you be........ I thought this thread was gonna be about something else entirely!!!! :D :eek:

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I voted Reindeer!!!! I had venision earlier this week, I really like it but it's very deer:rolleyes:

To be honest it's a tough one between Smoked Salmon and Venison! But in the end venison!!!

And as 'The Far Side' stated - "All the woodland animals remembered where they were when Bambi's mum was shot";)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not a fish fan, so I say go with the venison or the jerky. I mean c'mon, who doesn't like jerky?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I personally would prefer getting reindeer sausage, but think of the reaction you'd get from your friend's kids:

"Mommy!!! Daddy!!! It's sausage made out of RUDOLPH!!! Waaaaaa!"

Go for the salmon.

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i'd say the jerky. i love jerky. (fish probably wouldn't be as good of an idea unless you're sure the person really likes fish, as many people don't take to it.)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Some smoke-dried reindeer, of course. But be careful, they'll be asking for more :eek:

9. ronE

ronE

Nov 15, 2002
    Australia
    Nah... give 'em some kangaroo or croc' steaks.
    We're farming crocodiles now over here in Aus.
    Tastes like chicken sorta.   only with teeth!   ;)
    And 'roo is good lean tucker too!
    Might as well eat the poor beggars, they're just dyin' in the 1 in 100 year drought anyway.

There's an exotic meat-gift idea for you!

10. ::Homer drool::

Mmmmm, smoked Salmon.

That stuff is GREAT!!! I know I would love some for Christmas. Hint hint.:D

Rock on
    Eric

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Haha, cheesy jokes rule ;)

I've never tried venison, or a jerky or the other stuff on the list (including roadkill ;) )

12. I don't like game much, so I said jerky. How much could deer jerky really taste like deer?

13. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    well traditionally, you have a 'christmas ham' at dinners, so i would go with that.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Vegetarians?

15. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA

..........TOFU JERKY!!!.......:D

16. beef jerky....but in this area its hard to find any thats any good (that packaged stuff sucks!)

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    as a pescatarian...the only option for me is Smoked salmon :D

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My Dad, who doesn't seem to know me, always gets me a slab of cow, or pork, or whatever.

I'd really like a Gift Certificate to GC or something for strings instead.

Maybe he thinks I'm under-nourished.

19. I'll take the smoked salmon, nanook. Would you like me to PM you my mailing address so you can send it to me?

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Huh, what a coincidence.....I was just thinking that due to hard times, the woman will be getting her gift in the form of meat this year.....oh wait a minute, nevermind! :D