1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A+ Gig. Loud enough amp. Why am I second guessing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Standalone, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    We just had a great night. Bar/club gig. Small place with a good vibe up in New Hampshire.

Decent turnout for a three states away originals band that nobody knew. The ladies were all out dancing, even to the originals. Dancing is usually a good sign that everything is pretty ok.

My little vintage 400RB did that great, big fat drive thing that sat under the guitar keys and drums in the mix but also found its place in the mids. (No scoop)

Everything pretty much set at noon, maybe up to 1 o’clock on the boost and volume. 2 s15d’s. I could tell the amp didn’t really have much more to give but it didn’t need to.

I know I want a big old amp to get louder at outdoor shows. Rationally everything says that I’m good with this amp with my new band.

But why am I left feeling like I need to bring more to a bar gig like this?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, why?

AstroSonic, JRA, Herrick and 8 others like this.
  3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It’s kind of an obvious rhetorical question to myself, isn’t it?

I think I am uncomfortable driving an SS amp hard like that. I know, rationally, that the GK’s love to live right there, but I feel like I’m redlining my car.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    G.A.S.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Because overhead is something better to have and not need. And because bass amps require large increases in power and mechanical capability to provide a noticeable increase in overhead.

bobyoung53, pcake, Swampish and 2 others like this.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Paranoia. If you're going through the PA your rig is more than fine.

JRA and Swampish like this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    This. A 400RB and two 15s is more than enough for small to medium bars

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Maybe not necessarily. The GK drives well when pushed. It’s a signature, sought after sound and one that I think equals behinds moving on the dance floor. You should have seen it last night.

If I got a 1001rbii, I would not get any of that slightly compressed fat oomph when I dig in. Only clean loudness. And I think a preamp or pedal wouldn’t really sound as organic and full

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I know this in my head. I think I needed confirmation.

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    The first question I always have is: Were your cabs on the floor directly behind you, blasting the backs of your legs? That is, maybe you just couldn't hear yourself on stage as well as everyone else could? Do you have an audience recording of the set, or are you just judging from your vantage point on stage?

AstroSonic and lfmn16 like this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I haven't played a 1001RB, but I have gigged series I 700RB extensively, and it feels fairly compressed to me. The new amps are not voiced quite the same as the old 400RB and 800RB.

I used to gig an 800RB and never had any problems being loud enough. We always had good PA support so the amp was my personal monitor, and I used efficient speakers. I biamped a Bag End S15 and Ramsa WSA200...not a lot of lows, but that was the most articulate bass rig I have ever used.

Destroyer661 and Standalone like this.
  12. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I sold my 800rb a year ago for $400 (I think I even knocked $20 off for the kid) thinking I’d never really be in a loud gigging band. Sure enough...

I want to gig my 400rb with my new Carvin 118. That thing is ridiculously deep. I just read today that some say the 800rb has a low bass rolloff that the 400 does not?

wave rider and Wasnex like this.
  13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a good sense of what’s loud enough and mentally adjust for my position relative to the amp. It is a 215 stack so things are fairly up there. I also tune into the stage vibrations, reverberation in the room, etc. I was wearing loosely placed earplugs to tone things down a bit.

The upshot is that I know darn well that the amp was exactly the right size and power for the gig. Yet this idea that I need more headroom is still nagging me a bit.

AstroSonic and Lobster11 like this.
  14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I think I remember reading the same thing about the 800RB having a built in HPF. You could get an HPF pedal for your 400RB if you like.

rllefebv likes this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Get the amp you want and stop worrying and causing yourself anxiety.:thumbsup:

bobyoung53, pcake, GroovyBaby and 6 others like this.
  16. Gear Anxiety Syndrome.

17. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I don’t have the $800 for a V4b...:smug:

18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Ha!
    Matches my other anxieties I suppose :eek:

pcake likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's a rational fear. One night, your guitarist will have just flown in from somewhere, his ears will still be plugged, and he'll turn up even louder than normal. Or he'll get older, become deaf, and turn up. Or a cute girl will walk in that he wants to impress, and he'll turn up. Or.....honestly, there are a million reasons why a guitarist will turn his volume up, yet we still haven't found out what will make a guitarist turn down - like the Holy Grail or the fountain of youth, people have searched in vain for this, but to date, nothing.

So, given the inevitable (the guitarist will turn up) you need to be able to respond with sufficient firepower. A wall of SVT's (say 4 heads, 8 cabinets) is a start. You'll need a van. A big van.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    G.A.S. has you.
    Time to go shopping.
    I use a 400 watt amp and a 2x10 playing gigs in New Hampshire.
    If it's a big venue I have PA support.

Artman, admh1972 and Standalone like this.