1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A gig with David Lee Roth!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zac2944, Jun 15, 2007.

1. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My band just took a gig as the opener for Diamond Dave! The gig is a private function at the Roxy in Boston. The client wants to have a music through the ages type of show with a 70's band, 80's band, and a 90's band. My band is sort of a disco show band, so we're doing the 70's part. Aparently David Lee Roth is headlining with the 80's part.

I didn't know he did work like this. But I guess after his radio show flopped his star got a little dimmer.

I'm pretty psyched about the gig and thought I'd share it with TB.

2. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Get me in there somehow.. would be fun to see :bassist:

3. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I think most any band will play if the price is right :)

I recall last year Sting played some guys private bday party, and word got out about it and fans mobbed the place.

Congrats on the gig!

4. Very cool! I wonder what kind of band he'll be performing with. A few months ago, he was making the rounds of the late nite talk shows performing VH songs with a bluegrass(!) band.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I don't have a roadie. ;)

6. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I would happily lug ye' amplifiers

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Oh, yeah! That rocks!:cool:

8. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Lots of "not so hot now" artists do those private gigs. A drummer friend of mine did a private corporate gig with Lauren Hill last year. They still have to pay the rent.

9. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    That sounds like a great, great time.

There was a private party held in DC about three years back where a very rich gentlemen hired the Rolling Stones to perform. I guess no band is ever really above the idea!

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wu Tang said it best "Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M., get the money, dolla dolla bill y'all".

I can't wait to find out who the client is for this gig. I'm guessing it's corporate, but maybe it is just a rich guy? We never actually talked to the client, only an event coordinator.

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    C'mon, anyone with money can book whatever band they want for a function. Remember The Ramones played C. Montgomery Burns' birthday?

Joey Ramone: "Happy birthday, old man. I hope you die!"

Burns: "Smithers, have The Rolling Stones killed."

Congrats on the gig, Zach.

12. Great quote! :D

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021