Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Gizmotronic!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 30, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've come across this twierd old thing called a Gizmotronic. I've never seen or heard of it, but now, all of a sudden, I have one. Does anyone know anything about this thing? I'll get some pictures of it ASAP, but for now I'll just describe it:

It's a black box that appearantly you install right near your bridge. There are four keys that you depress to push little rubber wheel down onto your strings. The wheels have teeth, and when they rotate on your strings, they are supposed to sound like an bowed instrument.

This one's never been installed, is in the original box, with all the original documents, including the decal, carrying bag, and "Introduction to the Gizmotronic" 33.

I'm thinking this thing is from the early 70s, judging by the look of it and the documents and all. Can anyone help? This is odd!

2. oh what other cool things i can think of to do with it :p :rolleyes:

but hey.. sounds cool.. lets see / hear it in action soon ! :D

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It was designed by Godley and Creme and it wasn't vey successful sales wise. It's rare so keep it.

4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Didn't the gizmotronic put musictronics (makers of the mutron) out of buissness for a while? Yea, I would keep it, or put it up on ebay and sell it. You may be able to get something for it.

5. Cool.
    Yes, it was invented by Godley and Creme. The Gizmo was featured on their albums L , and Consequences . Both are extremely quirky albums. Very odd. I love 'em both.

I'd hold on to it. They didn't sell very many of them to be sure. I worked in a music store at the time which sold them. I think I sold maybe 1 or 2, and no I never bought one myself.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, it was Godley and Creme. All the documents say that, as well as the unit itself. All the mounting hardware and everything is still in the original sealed bag, and it looks like the power supply is still held by the original twist-tie thingy. So you guys think it's worth the $25? I'll get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

7. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm sure it's worth the $25. Bass Player recently ran a short article about it. They have sold upwards of $400 on Ebay because of there rarity. Their use is probably not worth it but there rarity is. I will try to find which issue it was in my collection and post some more later unless someone else does first.

8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    One example of a guitar gizmotron in action is the intro to Led Zep's "In the Evening". That kinda psychedelic sounding part is Jimmy Page using a gizmotron.

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I spent a LONG time looking at them during the NAMM show the year they came. Enough time that when the evening show started, Godley and Creme recognized me, and asked to join us. The guitar version was more popular, but if you want the sound of a bowed bass, the Gizmo is certainly the way to go. Only $25?!?! Great deal. I think the real problem now would be trying to replace the nylon wheels if they ever wore out.

10. 10cc was a FANTASTIC band!

I'm dying to see some pics of this thing, don't sell it, it's probably beyond cool!

--jeff

11. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Jeff,

I just KNEW you'd be chiming in at some point. Lovers of 10cc like us just can't stay away from a thread like this.

SoComSurfing, the Gizmotron is a piece of electronic music history. Congratulations! I'd hold onto that baby if I were you.

By the way, for more examples of the sound of the thing in action, I'm pretty sure it's all over the track "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc.

And, Jeff, you're quite right. 10cc was a great band. Half innovative visionaries (Godley/Creme), and half great songwriting musicians (Gouldman/Stewart). Ahead of their time, those blokes.

12. Amen to that! I started a 10cc thread over on the "Star Star..." section of the Dudepit but still haven't got a response... bummer!

Fantastic band... unfortuantely I've not had the chance to hear anything post-Bloody Tourists... you? I've got Look Hear and Ten out of 10 here on vynil, but my turntable needs a new cartridge...worth it?

--jeff