A Gliga or a Christopher?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ustillflyin, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    O.K. You bass experts out there in DB Land.
    I got this bass from Shar Music in MI.
    The people there claim it's a Gliga, but I'm not
    so sure. The pinstripe on the back looks a lot more like what the Christophers have then anything
    shown on the Gliga website.

Here's the picture from the Shar music website.

The reason I'm asking is that the tuning machines
    tend to stick right about where the spot that I need to be in tune is at and I would like to get
    an upgrade to the current machines, not just a replacement.
    So, what do think?

Oh, I forgot to mention that this bass is labeled
    a "Franz Hoffmann", but I was told that the bass
    was made by Gliga's factory and it's a laminated
    not carved. The Gliga website only shows one type
    of laminated bass and it looks nothing like this one.
  2. According to the Shar website, the Hoffmann laminated bass is made in China and set up in Ann Arbor.
  3. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    That's why I asked for some help.
    I'm getting a different story from Shar.
    My own research seems to indicate that it
    is actually a Christopher, but I'm going by
    pictures off the web, which may not tell the whole story.

It doesn't really matter I guess, since I'll
    have to take it to a luthier to get the upgrade
    done anyways.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
  4. Look thru the ff holes at the label and the area around it. There should be something showing the country of origin.
  5. why do you need the tuners to be upgraded? Is the stick that bad?
  6. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    Actually, It is pretty bad.
    It makes it really hard to hit the spot where
    in tune is at. It either jumps past or hangs up just before, which causes the two strings (E & A)
    to be either flat or sharp.

I called Rob Wilson at Wilson's Violins yesterday
    and He said he had some tuners which would help
    without having to rob a bank to pay for it.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate it
  7. that sucks.. seems like thats a manufacturer's defect. Maybe call the place where you bought the bass? how old is it? there should be some sort of gaurantee or something.. good luck
  8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    It seems as if all Christopher laminated basses -- including the hybrid, which I have -- have a very large brace across the back of the instrument, upon which sits the soundpost.

My Christopher has narrower shoulders than the bass in that little picture, but it's hard to tell from the photo.

I'm sure you've checked this out, but it's not the nut or the bridge that's causing the stickiness?

Seems odd that you'd get two bad tuners right next to each other like that. Tuners are such simple devices. Are they installed properly?
  9. I'm afraid that ustillflyin has jumped to the conclution that the bass is a Christopher based on some very slim evidence. I've been in this business for a lot of years and I wouldn't even try to pin down the origin of an instrument based on those two small photos. I'm still waiting for ustillflyin to let us know what the label says about the origin. However, even if it was made in China, that doesn't make it a Christopher.
  10. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    I aplogize for not being more clear on this.
    I am NOT sure about any of the information that I have regarding this bass, which is why I started
    asking some questions.
    I was under the impression
    that if I could find out which factory produced this bass that I would have an easier time finding
    some slightly better tuning machines for it.
    According to my conversation with Rob Wilson, I don't think the manufacturer really matters with regard to getting some upgraded tuning machines.

The salesguy at Shar said it was a Chinesse laminated bass made under the Franz Hoffmann label (The label does say "made in China")
    just for Shar music. That particular salesguy no longer works for Shar and the other sales person I spoke to a couple of days ago (before calling Wilsons) said that "All of our basses are Romanian" and "they are manufactured by Gliga"

The basses pictured on the Gliga website (www.violinlovers.com (I think)) don't even closely resemble my bass.

However these pictures of a Christopher taken from
    Luscombe Violins website look very close.

Pinstripe on back

The scroll

On the other hand the C bouts don't look like the Chris's on that website.
    It's hard for me to tell, I've got no experience in this area

In the long run it probably doesn't matter who made it as I like the sound, but I'm sure Rob Wilson will be able to help my getting it "in tune" problem.
    Also, You may be right, it might not be the tuning machine at all. My guess regarding the problem being the tuning machine is based on the fact that it gets sticky right as the string reaches the appropiate tension for being in tune and that the feel of the tuner is very tight and
    hard to control at that point, but I am a full blown Bass newbie so I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

I'll be taking it to Wilson's next weekend and I'll post an update on what I find out then.

Thanks Again
  11. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    It can be pretty hard to determine the true source of a "Made for the shop of..." instrument, but you're right, it doesn't really matter if the quality is there and you like it. I have heard that Christopher may be doing some "shop of's", which is fine and fair, but I don't know with whom, though. Rob will probably be able to shed some more light on the subject for you.

G/L! :)