1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good 15" for jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqgeek, May 12, 2010.

1. My main rig is an Epifani UL 502 stacked with 2 UL112 cabs, or just one if the venue is small. It's big and clear and loud and quick and generally sounds fantastic in every setting, but...

I have been curious about using a single 15" for jazz gigs. I'd like something a little slower, with a more "traditional" electric bass jazz tone. An Ampeg B15 would be awesome, but I'm thinking maybe a good 15" cab with the UL502 would be all I need. Like a bigger, more powerful Polytone.

My main jazz-gigging bass is a Rick Turner Electroline fretless 5. Huge, smooth, deep tone that can emulate an upright pretty well with good technique and a little EQ. It sounds incredible through the UL112, but I'm really curious how it would work with a 15.

I once had a BagEnd S15D that I miss. Also been curious about an Avatar 15. Or building my own single 15" cab. Nothing fancy, probably no tweeter/horn, though possibly a 6" midrange driver (pointed up). I'm open to suggestions, but also wondering what would sound great with jazz (more traditional, jazz-guitar trio, vocal, etc.)?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm gonna say it...I always say it...

Orange OBC 115 is the best sounding 15" I've heard or played through...

Super durable, really tight punchy lows. No tweeter, but doesn't really need one IMO. You can get very clean highs from this cab.

Also doesn't hurt that it looks badass, but if you don't like the orange color and are looking to buy new, you can get one in black or white tolex as well...

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Eden D115 is my go-to 1x15". Small & light enough that it's not unreasonable to carry to nearly any gig, powerful enough that I've never felt like I was "under-equipped" when that was the only cabinet I brought. Fat & throbby enough to convey that old-skool™ vibe without being so slow as to impart too much character onto more modern bass sounds.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this will be predictable coming from me but for jazz (esp bridge pup sounds) i cant see a better 15" cab than a bag end one.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I used to own the Eden D115 and quite liked it. Its more old school sounding then some but is very warm.

I now own a pair of Mesa 115 cabs and really like them, more balanced and modern sounding then the Eden.

I owned a Markbass 115 briefly and didn't like it at all. It was muddy and boomy. Nice looking cab but the worst of the three.

I imagine the Epifani 115's would be very sweet!

6. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I picked up a pair of Traynor TC115 cabs a little while back and couldn't be happier with them.
    The cabs are very well constructed, the driver can take a ton of abuse, no horn.
    Classic *old school* tone.

P1230203.

7. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    if you are going for diy option, eminence kappalite 3015 would be my choice. light, sensitive and powerful + crossable to tweeter with skipping the mid driver easily (im not the fan of 15+ tweeter or tweeters at all but if you want it this is the 15 to go for IMHO)

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've got a 3015 loaded Diesel 115 that just kills.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    my early 60's b-15n cabs are ever so sweet! www.vintage-blue.us can make you one that sounds just like the old ones, and is built a lot better for road use.

however, the "slowness" thing is a misnomer. all speakers respond at the same speed. it's just that the way they broadcast the highs and upper mids that make it sound slow.

10. Which Markbass 15 did you own? I have the front ported Standard 151HF and don't find it muddy or boomy at all. It's one of their discontinued models though.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Bag End 15s are great

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Jimmy is right the signature sound has to be the early ampeg bn with the original Chicago Telephone Systems 15"
    Or for a bit more power handling maybe the slightly later Ampeg Metal badge 115 with the Altec guaranteed for life speaker option:
    [​IMG]
    Sadly the amazing guarantee wont apply anymore. But that was confidence wasn't it.
    So many records got made with those old things in that genre, its like
    everything else just sounds slightly wrong now, not bad as such, just different somehow.:bassist:
    PS. Anything decent cabinet wise with a JBL D/K or E140 will be another great signature sound but slightly more bright and cutting.