Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good 35' inch scale bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can anyone help me out by telling me some good and worth while 35' scale basses that are at least equal in quality to a stingray 5? I'm haveing problems with my string tension and think the added inch of scale would help since my sounds getting kind of muddled when I tune lower than standard tuning.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Modulus basses have a 35" scale.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And there awesome, but does anyone know where Ican get one real cheap in a 5 string with a trade in?????

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    ibanez BTB
    Yamaha TRB...

there really not in the same ballpark tone wise, but good basses none the less.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus
    Peavey Millenium & Millenium Plus
    Peavey G bass (graphite neck)

All are great basses. Give them a try, one of them might be just what you are after.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    maybe not detuning would help? ;) or you can just use heavier strings. I wouldnt trade in a Stingray5.

35 inch scale 5 strings: (in order of price)

Peavey Cirrus 5
    Modulus Quantum 5
    Lakland 55 series

7. JPAmorim

JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    Where are you from?? Rio??

Peace,

JP

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    MTD. If you're not familiar with it, it's made by Michael Tobias, who used to make (surprise) Tobias before being bought out by Gibson. For my tastes, an MTD is considerably better than a Stingray (which has never been my ideal, anyway).

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nasci nos EUA, Cresci em Petrópolis, Fiz faculdade no Rio.

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey Millennium 5! Try one of these- you won't be disappointed!

11. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what are they priced like for either the btb 1000 or the 1005?

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Mike Lull Modern 5v! These have a 35" scale and KILL!

13. I second the Ibanez BTB series. They are affordable but are of very high quality and sound GREAT!

Not your average Ibanez.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Buy used, and you can easily get things like Modulus's, Zon's (only some are 35", but the B is absolutely killer in the 34"), and Roscoe's for around $1200-1400, sometimes less.

It's not the scale length that does it. In the construction. I vote you go for the extra $$$ and buy a used Roscoe and Zon.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Angus here. Get a used Modulus, Roscoe or Zon.

As much as I like the Ibanez BTB, and despite the fact that it has a killer B string, it would be a step down from the Stingray, IMHO.

16. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Embellisher, I've seen the BTB's around but have never played nor heard them. What about them isn't on par with my stingray? I'd love a zon more than anything else really but the amount of money they cost is outragous (as worth it as they might be) and I'm believe it or not truly a starving artist. I believe the same goes for Roscoes and used modulus 5'ers are hard to come by right?

17. embellisher

Actually, one of our members here on Talkbass has a used Modulus Quantum 5 for sale. Look in the classifieds or send a Private Message to DarkMazda.

DM, are you out there?:D

As to what would be a step down from the Stingray to the BTB, while the BTBs are well made, they are not quite as well made as the Ernie Ball stuff, IMHO, although the Prestige models(1005, 1015) are pretty darned nice. and while they offer more tonal flexibility, they will not get that signature Stingray sound. The only 5 that I know of that's 35" that will is a Lakland 55-94 with Duncan Basslines, and that's about $2500 worth of bass.:eek:

18. embellisher

Almost forgot. There are a couple of more used Modulus Q5's on http://www.bassgear.com, and I see used Zon 5's from time to time as well.

Used Roscoes are pretty rare though.