1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a good action setup for tapping

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jul 11, 2001.

1. I was wondering how low everyone sets their action for tapping, I havent bothered changing it since I started tapping, but I am going to when I take it in to get work on it.

Thanks

Nate M

2. I am dissatisfied with my action, its too hight around the 12th fret and too low around fret 1. annoying the hell out of me.

I went to some of the sites suggested, but i just can't get it right.

Am i damaging anything? aka the truss rod settings/neck settings but changing the action up and down say every second day?

Merls

3. this is where personal preference comes in.

it's a call between, too high and you find your right hand technique suffers, but you can have a lot of fun with the left(assuming your a righty), forming chord shapes, executing hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc, it makes it a little more exciting.

or too low and your either not going to get a decent sound or you'll find your left hand will get lazy and all you'll be able to do is slap and tap

i have an action thats suitable for both, but it has a lot to to with the bass i'm playing on, it has a very flat board, only a very slight radius, and hardly and relief in the neck, only a touch on front

it's a 5 but from bass side it's 3 1/2mm
    and treble is the same, theres a slight camber as it progresses across, but not a great deal

what bass are you playing>?

i know for example on my old j, the action was quite high, but that was because if it was any lower it would rattle on 12>

experiment with the hight of your strings
    if you have to make any truss rod adjustments, remember only a 1/4 turn and let it relax, also reintonate after adjusting

last tip, use a hair bobble/tie as a capo style mute around the 1st/2nd fret when tapping, i find that it stops any fray notes and gives a little more percussive style, give it a go, just experiment, everyone will have a different opinion on the best setup

stu