A good amp pairing for an SWR Golliath III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Will, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hi everyone! After a couple of years reading everyone's great advice in the forums, it's time to place my first ever posting! :hyper:

Basically, I need a new amp to replace my Ampeg SVTIII, which (as a lot of us know) is unfortunately lacking in the 'ole wattage department. But am curious what will sound great with an SWR Golliath III, as opposed to all the new super hi-fi cabs a lot of you are now using..............
    (As I'm based in Holland currently, not many of the super new brands and makes about are available)

My main equipment that will be used with this amp will be:-
    Fodera Monarch (EMG's etc. so quite bright sounding)
    SWR Golliath III (not looking to replace just yet ;)

Music Style:
    Rock to fusion (solo performances also)

Must have:
    Punchy Bass at higher volume for Rock gigs, but also clarity for complicated techniques/styles.

The Aguilar stuff sounds great of course, but lighter and a little cheaper might be nicer..........
  2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I know some people who run various Mesa Boogie amps (M-Pulse 600, M2000) into SWR cabs and love the result. Something you might consider!
  3. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Sounds like a definate addition to the list. So far I haven't tried any of the newer Mesa Boogie amps but must give them a go now.......

Every recommendation help! Thank-you :)
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i find that the swr 4x10's like a powerful amp in order to sound really good. other than that, they might not be the latest greatest thing, but i wouldnt say anything bad about them
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    One of the better sounding rigs I ever heard was a 800RB through a Goliath . May not be enough power for you but worth considering.
  6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd agree about having adequate power into the cab. I have the Goliath II and run a bridged SM-400S into it. That works well...a classic combination. OTOH, my GK 700RB doesn't sound quite as nice on the bottom end. It's a matter of 400 watts vs 225 watts at 8 ohms. The 400 watts sounds about right, but a little more couldn't hurt.
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004

For what you describe, I have to suggest you pick up a Thunderfunk. It's......AMAZING! Especially for how small it is. Just sounds completely killer!

To add: Volume-wise, it can make your ears hurt if you want. It is quite loud.

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The best candidate that meets this criteria is the GK 1001RB-II. 480 watt @ 8 ohms(700 watts @ 4 ohms), 18 lbs, very reasonably priced.
  9. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    I'd definately like to try the Thunderfunk, but don't think it's available at all currently in Holland. Even with the great reviews, I'd need to give it a good try before buying.

Gonna have a search through the dealers here, otherwise might have to hit the U.S. for some testing. Maybe on the Bass Player Live day...........