A good amp that isn't very expensive for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Aug 28, 2000.

1. I am a beginner on the bass and i am looking to get my first amp. I am looking for a good quality amp that isn't very expensive. Does any one have any suggestions?
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    For $270 this combo has great tone and modest features. Very portable, small, and LIGHT! Compare it to combos twice the size and price. People spend more than this on cables.
  3. JimmyLikesBeans

Aug 19, 2000
    I am assuming your not thinking of playing in a band right away, and you want a small amp to hear yourself. I would consider a small headphone amp or one with a small speaker. Try http://www.musiciansfriend.com or http://www.music123.com, they should have a selection of very affordable amps just to practice with. If you want to jam with friends, or dont want to deal with headphones, the 25 watt might be a good start, but you will have a tough time being heard over the drummer, guitarists, etc...

good luck
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'd go a little larger. Those small combos are great for beginners and a lot of fun -- EXCEPT you'll outgrow them pretty quickly and need to trade up. Two, three, four months from now, you're going to get the itch to hook up with your first band (if you're not there already), and those little 25-watters just aren't going to cut it (as JimmyLikesBeans points out). Then it's back to the music store, get hosed on the trade-in and spend more beans (the ones that Jimmy likes, I'll bet) to get something bigger. Instead, you might wish to get something that gives you a little growing room -- say, a 100-watt combo or a 100-watt head and a 2x10 or 1x15 cab. You'll have to shell out a little more in the near-term, but I think you'll actually save money in the long run. Peavey, Fender, Ampeg, Trace, SWR...most of the major brands make units in this range and many are surprisingly affordable (especially second-hand, and especially combos, which are generally viewed as "starter" amps anyway). Good luck and have fun.
  5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I think the key here is...."a good quality amp that isn't very expensive." Expensive being a relative word....stay with a well known manufacturer....try to get at least 50 watts and a 12" speaker. You should be able to find a good deal on one you won't outgrow too soon. Such as the Ampeg BA-112. My own personal favorite...:)
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I agree. And again, don't overlook the "used" market -- lots of great stuff out there to be had. You shouldn't be too worried about inheriting someone else's problem as long as you buy it from a reputable dealer.
  7. JimmyLikesBeans

Aug 19, 2000

I never realy thought of any meaning to my name, but i guess beans meaning money sounds good.