1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A good bass combo that won't kill me to carry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by medina286, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hello all.

I need your opinion about a good bass combo, that will sound good in your regular bar venue, and don't break my back to carry across the streets of Lisboa (zero parking near bars) even with a troley. I use a Behringer BX1200, and it's killing me.

I know good and light is an impossible combination.

Thank you for your help.

2. Carvin MB series

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    +1 on the Carvin MB series.
    My other though would be the GK MB115 or 112.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Depending on your power and tonal requirements.....I'm 58 and have really got to be careful with my back. I have a GK MB115 (200watts thru a 15" speaker) and I can easily carry it up from my basement and can get it into the back seat of my Ford Focus.

I think it's around 33 or 35 pounds.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Not sure of your budget. But, I see you're in Portugal so I figure Markbass has to be a bit less expensive there. The combos are easy to carry from the small CMD121P to the Berlin Combo. I have the CMD102P combo and it's about 44 lbs.

6. MarkBass is an Italian company so the prices might be about the same or hopefully lower in Europe. Yes you would not get a back pain from carrying MarkBass gear, that's for sure. The tone is then excellent, too.

7. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    I know this isn't what you asked, but I'm wondering if you've considered adding a good set of casters to your rig and wheeling it in? That's what I have on my amp and it makes it a lot easier to move around.

8. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    GK MB115.... a single 15", 200 watts and only 35 lbs.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Genz Benz is putting out a new Shuttle 6.2 1x12 combo. The combo has been getting a good review from KJung. If you want, you can add a matching cab. that's my recommendation. I'm very happy with my Shuttle 6.0 and NeoX212T. This would get you close.

KO

Added: I didn't notice that you were in Portugal. I'd definitely look at the MarkBass stuff.

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm 69 and finally gave up on heavy amps. Now I have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T with a matching 10T cab for 300 watts. That's plenty to be heard over the drummers I play with. When I want the ultimate tone, I pair two G-B 10T boxes with a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout head I pulled out of my Walkabout Scout 1x15. Instead of 65 lb [30 kg], I have a 13 lb [6 kg] head and two 16 lb [7.5 kg] speakers. The trade off is not between good and light, it's between light and good or light and inexpensive: the M/B + G-B rig will run about $2.2K in the US.

GodinandMesa.

11. Markbass.

12. +1 to the entire CMD series. Pick the lightest, loudest one you can handle, and enjoy the power and output.

13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I just purchased a Genz Benz 6.012T 375 watts 1 12 35lbs best rig ever.
    I run 2 12t cabs for 600watts!

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I had the Genz 6.0/12T combo and I really didn't like it. But, with the new 6.2 head with more bottom, it might be a contender.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK 700 Combo. Built in wheels and folding handle.