1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good bass for jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thom-clarence, Mar 22, 2009.

1. thom-clarence

thom-clarence

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm looking for a solid bass for jazz. I recently purchased a new 5 string MM Stingray with dual humbuckers. It brings the funk, sounds great with a pick and is perfect for fingerstyle. Its great. But it doesnt do a ton for me when it comes to jazz.

I'm looking at: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Euro-4-LX-4String-Bass?sku=517427 but blue and fretless.

any recommendations for a good jazz tone? I love the fender J bass, but not for jazz. and I tend to shy away from the straight up P bass.

2. What are some of the Jazz Artists you really like - what are they playing. Spectors are great sounding Basses - I think you need to visit a store with a good selection and spend some time trying different Basses till you find the one that does the Jazz thing for you.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I heard a jazz trio at brunch today (ok, that sounded a little gay) and the bassist was playing a Michael Kelley 5 string fretless bass. Wouldn't have been what I would have picked as a first choice, but It worked very well. Worked for the upright-ish sound and a little brighter, worked for a more electric sound.

4. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Laklannd 44-02 or Darryl Jones Signature, if you have a lil more to speed a LowEnd LEJ or Sadowsky Metro

5. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    RICKENBACKER!!!!

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Fender Jazz...?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm, well if you dont like the jazz tone, MM tone, or P bass tone for jazz, lets see whats left. Spectors are definitely a different tone. Not exactly my top pick though. Warwicks can sound great for jazz, but aesthetically theyd have to be your thing. The necks definitely are not for everyone. However if you like spector necks, you may not mind.

8. You nailed it! Thats what I use! Its brilliant!

9. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Hofner 500/1 Beatle Bas, nice woody, uprught tone or even a 500/2 Club Bass

10. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Another "recommend-me-a-bass" thread devolving into a "recommend what you own" thread, regardless of the needs of the original poster? Who'd have thought? ;)

There isn't really a standardized electric "jazz" tone-if you're looking for something more modern-sounding, the Spector you posted would do fine, I'd think. If you're looking for something warmer and woodier, I'd look at a Rob Allen or a Turner Renaissance, as they cop the upright vibe pretty well if you go for a fretless version.

Of course, there's always the upright. ;)

11. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've been rotating the whole stable through a steady Jazz gig I have. They all work well (yes, including the Jazz basses :rolleyes: :p). But my favorite seems to be the Steinberger. For that app, I really appreciate the sustain and even response afforded by the graphite neck. The humbucker pickups have a guitar-like quality in the upper registers, which I find works well for soloing.

For walking on electric bass, I shoot more for a sound like the B3 players get with the foot pedals. Almost no decay. I use more gain and a lighter touch, which is the opposite of how I do with the upright. (This also gives me some "acoustic" headroom to hit harder & really punch it out for solos.) IME this approach has helped me more than any specific choice of axe.

12. uprights are apparently good for jazz...

13. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    Eight years from now you will find that the stingray is great for jazz.
    I donĀ“t have a stingray but I know the feeling of looking for the "tone",
    buying a new bass and then comeback to the old bass...
    I think that we can use any bass in jazz... you need to find your tone in
    you... not in the bass.
    noisetree

14. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I'd stick with that fine bass of yours, except I'd roll the treble way back, use the neck pickup, play with the fleshy part of my thumb or fingers (short nails required), walk around the tunes with swing eighths, with some little flourishes in the "breathing space." Think about Rufus Reid's approach, and caress those tunes.

You may find a decent sound and be quite happy with that fine bass that you already have in your midst. Best!