Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a good bass for slapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Mar 22, 2001.

1. right now i play a fretless. and i have started to play slap just for a change in sounds (i use my ibanez gsr200 for that). but i think the time has come for a good bass for slaping. now this does not have to be top of the line or anything. i dont really want to pay more then $800 (if thats posable). so any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

2. Why can't you slap on your Ibanez?

3. well i do at the moment. but i would like to get a better bass. the ibanez is not that good. i should also add that i am going to be in a hardcore type band, not funk of anything. i dunno if that will make much of a diff on the choice or not.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    A used Warwick should be in that range. They are killer slappers and sound mighty fine in metal bands so one would guess they suit for hardcore too.

And, they look cool too.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :rolleyes:

Why do you need a bass "specifically for slapping"? Why not just buy an all around better bass?

Sigh...when will the fad end...

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i totally agree with that, why buy a bass that is just good for slap, when you can buy a bass that is very versatile and can serve a multi purpose role

MM, Fender, and Spectors all come to mind

7. Used Musicman and Warwick basses should be right around your pricerange, and both brands are generally good for slapping (to most people).

Also try some used American Fender Jazz's out (as well as new Mexican ones.. I honestly haven't found an MIM Fender that I've liked... but a lot of people swear by them) as well. Along with the American Series Jazz.. I also like the American Deluxe Jazz and the 75 reissue a lot too. The Fender Marcus Miller sig Jazz (made in Japan) should also be good, though I have yet to find one.

I don't find anything wrong in looking for a bass that will work well for slapping.. a bass that slaps well is typically no slouch at fingerstyle either (though some basses that are favored by slappers have scooped mids and exaggerated highs and lows.. and probably won't work that well for fingerstyle.. I don't go for that stuff).

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Musuc Man StinRay or G&L L-2000. I'd personally go with the L-2000 because it is a much more versatile bass.

P.S. Why does it bother anyone if someone is looking for a bass for any particular reason?

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    One Word
    STINGRAY!!!!!!!!:D

10. Find yourself a good Fender Jazz Bass. Excellent slap tone, plus when you get tired of only slapping ;) you have a nice versatile instrument that can handle a wide variety of styles.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Tell that to a full time studio musician. You will have lots of arguments for that.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was wondering the same thing. If he wants to slap and that is his highest priority in a bass, why not seek one that does it well? Does anyone complain when someone seeks a bass that's easy to tap on?

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    At 16 Lfabara, i dont think he's a full time pro studio player, so you're point is absolutely irrelevant to what i said, contextually.

Brad, i didn't say he has to compromise slap sound for versatility, I was saying that he should find something that has the versatility, but still has that slap sound (ie, Stingray, Jazz, etc). I just think its stupid (for a non studio player ;)) to buy a bass that can ONLY do one thing, when a lot of basses can do just that ONE thing just as well, plus more.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Still, as far as I know, there IS no "slap-only" bass. There are a lot that are good for slap-style, but if you could point out one that also sounds crap/is unplayable with fingerstyle, I would be very surprised.

"When will the fad end?" - I say, when will the goddamn whining end? :rolleyes: Not meant towards you in person, Angus, I'm just a bit tired of the whole debate.

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you actually know a Bass that can Only do 1 Thing? Real bass-guitars please, No chapman sticks or baritone guitars allowed.

Also, I .. at 16 was looking for a SLAP SPECIFIC bass, wich led me to buy a Ibanez ATK300 (I never found a Stingray in Florida by that time, anyway with the rest of the money I bought my Ampeg cab) wich served me well for 4 years until I moved to a 6 String Bass.

For you .. That would have been Stupid. For me, It was heaven.

Let Him decide what HE wants.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Angus, I didn't say you said anything about compromise. He also did not ask for a bass that could only slap.

Do you really think it's stupid to buy a bass that can do something well?

I think you might have put a spin on this that wasn't there.

17. im a little late cause im new here but i think the best bass for slaping is a bass with jazz pickups. the humbucking is good for a real hard core sounding slap or a red hot chilli peppers kind of sound. i like to use the jazz basses though cause they give a nice even sounding slap with just enough high and low if you set your pickups knobs correctly. the best jazz bass is the fender jazz series. they have the most comfortable necks in my opinion. but if you are a hard core bassist i would recommend a humbucking bass. p basses are terible in my opinion. a humbucker is 2 single coil pickups stacked on top of each other to cancel out the excess noise to give a deeper fuller sound.

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Welcome To talkbass! I hope you enjoy it.

About a Humbucker:
    A Humbucker is any pickup wich has 2 or more coils wired in a way that the hum (normally 60 Cycle electrical noise) is canceled.
    It can be Stacked, parallel (side to side), linear , or Split.
    In fact the P-Bass type Pickup is a Humbucker.
    The problem with Humbuckers is that they tend to loose some clarity.
    Your aproach of the Jazz Pickup configuration is right. But for a more "Flea" sound I would opt for a Dual Coil Humbucker in the Sweetspot position just like the Stingray or Flea Bass.

19. um... guys, i didnt mean to start a fight here. and for that i am sorry. i guess it is my fault, i dont need a bass just for slaping. i like to change styles in the middle of songs. i just figured if i got a bass that was good at slaping it would probably be good for playing normaly. and no i am not a full time studio musician, far from it. i'm just a kid playing in a band having fun. not making any money yet from it. but i would not go as far as calling it a fad. now i think i would like to go for the Stringray L-2000 or the Fender Jazz. both probably used. the advantage the fender has here is that the only music store around where i live (about 40 mins) is manly a fender dealership. but they probably dont have any used ones. but i could at least try one out. anyway, does anyone know any good websites with used gear?

20. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    The Curbow model by Cort is a great bass. Pro quality and an affordable price. I think around $350 bucks for a brand new 4-string at marsmusic.com. I got my 6-string on ebay for $425 and it's the best bass I've ever played or owned. It's EXCELLENT for slapping, and good at just about anything else you want to do. Besides that, they look AWESOME.