1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a good "beater" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadebass17, Feb 27, 2008.

1. For my spring break tour, I was told i need a good "beater bass"

Not as it seems, i just don't want to take any of my higher-dollar instruments on this tour.

Whats a good bass i could buy and do a little sprucing up to, that i could use on the tour and not have a worry if it falls or gets tossed from the case in the van (true story).

anyways, help me out!
    i'm looking towards Squier P's or the VM Jazz or Bullet/Bronco/Musicmaster type bass or a cheap p-bass copy...or something.

suggest!

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    The Squier VMs are fine.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i kinda liked the Squier Pete Wentz for a beater. because of the big friggin' decal, you're encouraged to beat it! :hyper:

4. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    If you want to save even more I'd look into an sx. Rondo Music is the only States dealer that I know of.

5. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    And then set it on fire ala Jimi Hendrix.

That would be awesome to see.

6. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    A used MIM Fender Precision would be cheaper than some of the suggestions...

7. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    get an sx

8. SX, kill them all

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    An SX would be perfectly fine, just change the strings and get it set up. I regularly gig with my SX p-bass copy, although I swapped out the bridge and pickup for the heck of it.

HOWEVER. Every time i go to my local shop I find myself drawn to the newer Squier VM's... I'm sure some are better than others, but damn, there's one 70's style jazz that feels as good as any bass I've played. It actually has a fantastic acoustic tone as well, though I haven't plugged it in yet. I did see one the other day that looked a little ugly (obviously non-matching woods), but the specimen at my local shop would be a worthy player for sure. the telecaster bass looks pretty rad too.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    SX. I have and will continue to play shows with mine.

My beater is an OLP MM2, it feels cheap and I don't really care if it gets beat up. But I wouldn't play out with it.

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    seems sx is the answer .
    but my 2c
    the bass you love to play the most is the one you should take no matter how much it cost. if you love it then your never going to sell it. and if it gets a ding .it adds history to it . you can say when your older " this ding happened on that crazy tour i did back in...

12. Saturday

Saturday

Jan 10, 2008
    my vote goes for a mim precision or jazz. maybe a good 70's japanese copy.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I got a used Hoppus P off E-bay for cheap last year for a beater. One PUP and one knob. I think it's the ultimate warclub! The kicker is that I really like playing it too.

Either way, a used Fender (Probably MIM) is a good way to go.

14. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Possibly, but there are some true dogs that came out of the MIM fender back in the day. I should know, i got one of the weirdest ones... it's a '97 MIM jazz that i bought new as my first bass. I didn't know it at the time, but they actually put the neck pickup in horribly misaligned and had to cut the pickguard to match the sloppy positioning... it's actually at an angle away from the neck. The pole pieces only align under the G string... you don't wanna know how far off they are from the E! I mean, it's playable, and i've kept it for the charm of owning a mutant bass, but, moral of the story, try the MIM before you buy it.

And yes, now that I've upgraded my SX, it sounds and feels much better than my MIM. I will say that the SX's stock bridge originally gave my bass a weird hollow ringing overtone on the G string, which is why I was so quick to swap the bridge. The Gotoh i bought as a replacement was an immediate improvement. I've never heard anyone else complain about that though.

15. Get a Peavey foundation from ebay they range from 100 to 300 bucks and they sound great. If you break it or it gets stolen there a tons of these things out there that you could replace it with.

16. geremia

geremia

Feb 28, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    MIM Fender J or P...its the best bang for the buck and both are very versitile....

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Really, if you want to play a cheap bass for gigs, the Sx is a good way to go. However, IMHO, screw that and play your bass. I don't do a gig, no matter how small, without my bass. It is the one I play and am most comfortable with. Especially if you are away and need to have the mind set that your bass will work without fail. Peace of mind...

18. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Get a used MIM P bass and throw some dimarzio pick ups in.

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I originaly bought my SX P copy as a "beater" back up for my Vintage Fender. Turns out the thing was so freakin' good, that I put the Fender up on blocks, and gig the hell out of the SX. It's been over two and a half years since it took over "primary gig bass" duties, and it's still going strong. There is not a better value in a "workhorse" bass out there IMO.

20. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i agree with the above:

one of those squire vintage basses (white p or natural jazz ones) are decent. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=squire+vintage+bass

i used to have a SX jazz as my beater and it worked really well. like a tank. there is a reason they are the modding bass of choice around here.

if not going for classic looks and need active sound.. get an Ibanez SRX or SR bass they are a good deal $ and the EQ is quite powerful. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...rs?N=100001+201105+304428&Ns=P_Price|0&page=1

also sometimes its good to have a beater bass head like a GK backline 600 or something, even a -cough- behringer. comes in handy on the road... things happen.

great to see some dallas TB people!!!