1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Good Beginner's SX/Essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheSpook, Feb 24, 2008.

1. TheSpook

TheSpook BOO!

Feb 19, 2008
    Bluefield, VA/WV
    Finally have started doing even more reading about SX, and have really liked what I've seen thus far. I particularly like what I've read about this...

SX SPJ-62 Vintage White

Is that considered a good beginner's bass from SX? I certainly like the price, and the reviews for it are highly positive...

- Caroline

2. David J.

David J.

Dec 1, 2006
    South Bend, In
    own it, and love it

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Any bass from SX is a good beginners bass.

4. I've got one and it's great. Just be warned that the neck is a bit chunky.

5. TheSpook

TheSpook BOO!

Feb 19, 2008
    Bluefield, VA/WV
    How bad on the chunky front? I can't help but feel that a thin neck would be easier to learn on...that said, this seems to be the one SX with the thinnest neck, at least in the price range I'm entertaining...

SX SB-301

I have not seen this one mentioned a whole lot around here...has anyone actually played it? Is it any good?

6. Chunkier than a Fender Precision neck. It depends on what feels good in your hands. It's hard to try out an SX like you can a Fender in a store. Somebody on here has one of those 301's. Maybe he'll chime in.

7. TheSpook

TheSpook BOO!

Feb 19, 2008
    Bluefield, VA/WV
    Yea...that being limited to Rondo is the one big bummer about SX. :( I'll need to do some actual window shopping at a music store, be it ASAP or eventually, anyway...particularly to see what body and especially neck I most prefer. But, I know I'll most likely be going with SX for my first bass...the price and reviews for most models are too darned great to not do so...

8. I think you'll be satisfied. The main thing is setup. Some say you can play them right out the box and some needs a good setup. Which that is somethin' I struggle with, adjusting a truss rod, lowering bridge saddles. As simple as it seems, I haven't got it yet...

Steve

9. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I have a SPJ that I did some mods to and it is really nice. I refinished the neck to make it more Fender like. You'll enjoy it.

10. TheSpook

TheSpook BOO!

Feb 19, 2008
    Bluefield, VA/WV
    What about this one?

SX SJB-62 Lake Placid Blue

The further research I do, the more I'm leaning towards a Jazz body...not to mention how that blue is very, VERY sleek...

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Just so you're aware, SX's are all beginner instruments. So, if you've found one you like, I'd say you're good to go!

Personally, I like Squiers as beginner instruments, but they're a bit more expensive. I've just never liked any SX's I've touched, but I've heard they're a little better than they used to be. *shrug*

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The neck on the SJB is slimmer than the SPB, but in all hostey, the SPB necks really aren't much different than a Fender Precision. Hardly enough to notice, and I've played Fender P basses both Vintage, and modern for over 25 years. As a new player you wouldn't hardly notice the difference.

Yes, there is a BIG difference between a J style and a P style neck, but not much difference between a Fender Precision, and an SX SPB.

These are fantastic insturments for the money, but factor in another $35-$40 for a pro set up to get it playing really well. As a new player, you'll want to have a pro do this for you.

These aren't just great for beginners. I've been playing for a long long time, and use 2 SX SPB 62's as my main "workhorse" gigging basses. Solid and reliable instruments, that you can upgrade in the future if you choose to.

I not only recomend them, I gig them regularly.

From Sunday nights show.
    l_df194f8f7f33ea3e568cae7f09e5a73f.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd say I'm doing o.k. for a "beginner" then. :D

These basses have tons of potential to be made into fantastic players.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Stupid question about the "chunkiness" of Essex Ps:

I recently got this SX (except it's a lefty with a foto flame top).

http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57fretless.html

and the neck doesn't feel all that big to be, I actually think it's kind of comfy. Is this bass an indicator of what SX P necks are like? As a lefty I don't get to try out a lot of basses and I swear the Mexi Fender P I tried ages ago seemed to have a neck that seemed huge in comparison!

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Speaking for my own right SX SPB 62's, I'd say the necks are very close in size to a modern Fender B neck, with a touch flatter fingerboard radius.

Not as chubby/clubby as a mid/late 70's Fender B neck. I would describe those necks as being "big shouldered" Not as wide as a 60's C neck.

Closest to the modern B neck, but with a gloss finish like a 70's neck.

Hope that helps.

But then again... What would a beginner like me know about Fender necks? :D

Personaly, the neck on my SX's felt a little small at first, because I had been playing an L Plate P for quite a while before I got the SX.

Very comfy neck IMO.

16. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have both a fretted and fretless SB-301, also some SJB's and an SPJ.

I am really a fender style guy, and bought the fretted 301, b/c it was the cheapest thing rondo had in stock with a P-style pup. The fretless 301 was a b-stock that I bought to have a pair (they are both white).

I like them, though not as much as my SJB's and SPJ, mostly because they have more low end. The SB-301's are light, everything works well. I especially like the bridge having a little more mass than the fender style (though less than a badass), and yes, the neck is good for small hands.

I also like the super-small headstock (I think the way the #1 and #4 tuners are reverse wrapped is way cool). With the black hardware and black wrapped strings they are nice lookers too!

Some would probably say that they feel cheap because of the light weight, but they get the job done. I don't see myself getting rid of mine.

17. TheSpook

TheSpook BOO!

Feb 19, 2008
    Bluefield, VA/WV
    Thanks for the input, y'all. :)

This is not easy choosing between the white SPJ and blue SJB...I really like what I've read about Jazz basses. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind somewhat getting the best of both worlds in the SPJ. Decisions, decisions...

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL, never meant to imply that anyone who plays an SX is a beginner. Just that thier price point, makes them very attractive to a beginner. Most people, once they get into it more,,, find other things they like better, or hot rod crud out their SX's.

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I've seriously been contemplating getting rid of my neckthru Spector Euro and picking up that same bass in the sunburst finish...not really even sure why but it just looks damn good.

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    They also appeal to anyone who would like a decent quality, very usable bass, that doesn't break the bank

I think a lot of people feel like they need to spend more money on a bass once they get to a certain level. The truth is that you really don't. A well set up and fine tuned SX is going to play as well or better than any off the shelf mass produced bass.
    If the sound of the stock bass doesn't suit you, there are tons of options out there in pickups, pre amps etc. etc.

There was a time when I felt a little weird, particularly hanging around the TB board, that I wasn't out playing a more expensive bass out doing what I am doing ,since the Old Fender was put into semi retirement. Yeah, So I went out and bought a super high quality bass, and now it stays home most of the time because, truth be told, the SX's get the job done better.
    Go figure!

A very good friend, and one of the best all around guitar players I've ever heard, who has played with some fairly well known guys, just picked up an SX bass at my recomendation.

He was raving about it to me last week.

Yes, beginners price tag, but much more than a beginners instrument IMO. (and others as well)