1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good buy/anyone know about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefunkelastic, Mar 4, 2008.

1. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    I may soon buy a yamaha rbx1000 in purple, does anyone know about it, how are the pickups and the tone? is it reliable? Is it more of a modern tone? How is the preamp? At this price is it a good buy?

here's a link to the particular one if anyone is interested,

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=559208

that purple finish has had me gassin for weeks

Revv likes this.
  2. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Thanks! Sorry I just bought it.
    I couldnt help it. Its so beautiful!

Just kidding of course. =D

3. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I have an RBX1000 that I bought new in '92 for a little over a grand. I don't play it a whole bunch anymore, but for 8 yrs of hard gigging in a modern/alternative band it never let me down, and is rock solid. I replaced the stock p'ups with Barts in '99, but that was for a specific tone I was after, the stock ones sound good. Very durable, veteran of many drops (some pretty dramatic), a real workhorse of a bass.

Attached Files:

4. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    what would you say the stock tone was like? how is the playability?

5. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    More bright than dark, tight clean bottom, very articulate tone. More sterile and not as warm as with the barts, but a decent grind when you drove it hard.
    Of course I mostly used a Hartke rig in those days, EQ scooped pretty hard (it was the early 90's after all), I got a pretty good "Seinfeld" tone going on.
    The neck is between a Jazz and a P, with (obviously) much better upper register access than either. My right hand falls naturally between the p'ups, but of course your results may vary ;). Mine plays great. I have big hands and hit pretty hard and like a fairly high action, but the neck is straight and true and I would have no problem dropping the action and playing without buzzes.
    IMO Yamaha makes very good gear for the money, and the RBX1000 was one of their high end basses in the early 90's.
    This bass listed for I think +/- $1500 or so if that tells you anything. I'm pretty sure I paid $1050 w/case out the door.
    $340 seems like a good deal.

6. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    I grabbed up a mint RBX1000 in '94 for $500. It was a tuxedo with a maple/rosewood. Jammed on it for almost 10 years before I sold it to get something different.

IMO, it was a great bass. I was trying all sorts of (inexpensive) basses and as soon as the salesman put this one in my hands --before I even struck a string, let alone plugged it in-- I knew I wanted it. The neck felt great in my hands (though a satin finish would've been nicer) and it balanced quite well.

I'd say it was more modern sounding than the Fenders & Peaveys I' played, though it still had a good fat bottom; it had decent highs and strong mids too. When I began looking for something different, I was going for a 5-stringer. When I purchased/tried out an ESP, a Schecter and a Pedulla, they all sounded boring in comparison to the Yamaha. Go figure! ;)