A good cheap beater/slap 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pneuma, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    I'm thinking of picking up a practice bass to try different setup and sound options. I don't want to mess with the bass I regularly play with, for fear of jacking it up permanent style.

I play 5, and am looking to start learning some slap technique. Anyone got a good reccomend for a cheap-o 5 that will accept some abuse, and produce some good slap sound/playability?

I've thought about a MIM Jazz V, maybe a Rockbass, or Peavey (who put "flamed" tops on $200 basses :)). I'd like to keep things under $400, and used or new makes no diference to me.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

2. ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    A used G&L Tribute or a used EBMM S.U.B. should fit your needs.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    New Peavey Millennium 5s sound great for $250. Their pickups are a bit noisy and could have stronger output but the finish and fretwork is great. Since the pickups are j-style, you could probably do a serious upgrade and not be out of more than $400-450. These are really good sounding, good playing, well made, dirt cheap basses.
  4. Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    How's the string spacing? I'm currently playing an Ibz. Soundgear 5, and the spacing is a bit narrow. Good for fingerstyle, but I'm guessing I'll need a bit more space if I'm going to be learning to slap.