Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good, cheap disortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Mar 6, 2001.

1. What is a good bass distortion but is cheap becuase i am broke and don't have much. Anyone know?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    turn your amp up to 10.

next cheapest is to go on ebay and do a search for effect pedals. You should be able to score a decent distortion for 10-20 bucks.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I tried out a DOD Supra Distortion pedal. It's about $40 and for guitar, but really sounded great with a bass.

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    You could find a cheap Ibanez tube screamer...
    That guy from Faith No More used them at a time.

But basically, anything that produces noise would do. It will pierce through that wall 'o guitars.

5. heebs

heebs

Mar 7, 2001
    is there any disadvantage to using a guitar distortion pedal on a bass? ive heard you shouldnt plug a bass into a guitar amp, so i wondered if theres anything wrong with using a distortion pedal made for guitar with a bass?

6. using a guitar pedal on basses most of the time makes you lose your low end.

ibanez now makes the Phat-Hed bass distortion that you should check out. and there is always the BOSS OBD-3. I own the OBD-3 and love it.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hi Heebs....welcome to TalkBass!!

I sometimes use a guitar distortion pedal..... I just EQ the bottom end...and I get plenty of lows....:)

8. heebs

heebs

Mar 7, 2001
    thanks alot guys i definately appreciate the help

9. i have a boss overdrive... new is about 80 and i got it for 45 it on ebay. sounds great for the low end and i love jsut putting a light amount of overdrive for soloings and slap bass.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i think that guitar pedals works great with bass too. i suggest for cheap distorition the sovtek electro harmonix big muff pi or the boss distortion ds1

11. oxwah1331

oxwah1331 Guest

Mar 26, 2001
    i'm a big fan of the DOD Death Metal Distortor. my bass is all dark and crunchy (like burnt cereal?) with it.

12. Go for the Boss ODB-3. They're fairly inexpensive and they sound pretty good. I love mine. You could get one from Musician's Friend for $70 + s/h, or you could go the E-bay way.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like the electro harmonix big muff pi. It makes me happy. -B

14. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like the Blue Tube, but unless you get it used, it would probably be at least $100

15. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado

i like burnt cereal!

p.s. I_am_rage- try zoom pedals

16. Sabeth

Sabeth

Apr 6, 2001
    quincy, IL USA
    i use a few guitar pedals for my bass. they were cheaper then the ones they had for bass, and i'm usually broke. bass effects would prolly be best (maybe because they're made for bass?), but guitar effects work just fine.

17. not always. alot of guitar pedals used on bass make you lose your low end.

18. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    hey, I'm good at finding cheap stuff, I generally go to any store that has a "used gear" department, or go to local pawns, never know what you might find.