a good combo amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk33, Dec 13, 2001.

1. dirk33

Dec 11, 2001
    Chicago Illinois
    i was wondering what you guys thought of the bassman 100. i'm planning on getting one. but how does it compare to a SWR Working man 15 or the Gallin Krueger 400RB 115. Or even the ampeg BA-115 i guess. these are all amps i've looked at but so far im leaning towards the fender.
    I play a fender standard jazz and a Ricenbacker 4003(love that ric) But anyways. please tell me what you think of these amps. and keep in mind right now i've got about a 650 price budget. i'm just looking for a good solid amp to rock at some of our smaller gigs so i dont have to hall the huge rig around all the time. THANKS
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd personally go for the GK, just because I like the GK's tone best, out of all the one's you've mentioned, but that's me. :)

Get whichever sounds best, to you.
  3. HarryTurns

Dec 19, 2001
    USA, FL
    IF you haven't already purchased a new amp - Try a Peavey 115 Combo with a BW - Just bought a new one a few months back after playing my old Peavey BW combo for about 20 years with out 1 problem - They are heavey - but last and sound good!
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

I have one that's over twenty years old, gets used lots, and has cut through on every gig. I've bought other amps because they were lighter, or had better tone, but always wound up returning or selling them. For some reason most combos start distorting pretty quickly when you have to crank them, and the warm tone I hear in the store gets quckly lost when my drummer starts pounding away. I own about 9 basses (last time I counted) and only 1 amp. That might be saying something about the Peavey.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah - if not that I tend to like GKs.
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You might also try the Crate BX-100. It won out over the Ampeg and the Fender when I was shopping. For the money, you get a lot more amp than some of the more expensive models.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    dirk - Also, in your price range, you should consider the Nemesis combos. They list a bit above your budget, but sell right at it. Wonderful boxes, light and easy to move, plus they're loud and sound great (well, they ARE made by Eden ;) ).
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Now you've really got some stuff to think about :) . Aren't you glad we're simplifying this for you.
  8. dirk33

Dec 11, 2001
    Chicago Illinois
    thanks everyone for all of your help, but does anyone know how much the peavey combo 115 sells for? i know that it lists at around 729.99 but like as a sale price?? do you know what that would be
  9. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i used to own an SWR WM15 .... i loved it. with your ric i would recommed trying the ampeg combos though.

one of those two is what i would look at.
  10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I second Gard's recommendation of the Nemesis combos.
  11. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Third vote for Nemesis.
  12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Of the amps that you mentioned I like the Ampeg
    I also would recommend the Ashdown Electric Blue
    115 combo. I might be willing to sell mine because
    I'm saving to buy an aguilar rig . E-mail me if you are interested.
  13. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The real key is to take YOUR basses down and plug them into any amp you're considering. It's not enough to just try them out. You want to see what you are really going to sound like, and only your bass and your ears can make the final decision.