1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good deal on a Genz-Benz NEOX-212T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baxter_x, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Get it, it's a great cab, you won't regret it

24 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Keep you 410, it's a better cab than the 212

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hi everyone,
    I use two SWR Goliath III for most of my gigs. I only use one for small venues. But I found a good deal on a Genz Benz NEOX-212T. I've read only great reviews about this cab. Also, it's light, compact, and seems to sounds pretty good. One single 410 is not that hard to move around but I wouldn't refuse a lighter cab.
    Could it replace a single 410 for small and mid venues?
    I like massive lows with clean highs, pretty much what my SWR provide me. Will the 212T be able to produce more or less the same tone?

Thanks

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Be sure that the drivers in the NeoX are not damaged as the availability of the original factory spare drivers is getting low for that cabinet. There are some driver options, but they do not have the same mid voicing.

This actually applies to both the NeoX and Goliath III cabinets

Standalone, dabis, racecar5 and 6 others like this.
  3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've found that good 212 cabinets can indeed do loud gigs by themselves . I built one with Deltalite 2512 II speakers to Eminence specs and was suprised how much low end I got outdoors on a flatbed stage , and also the volume . I knew I liked the Deltalite mids anyway so it was like a bonus how huge it sounded with no problem keeping up in our fairly loud rock band . One of the guitar players in my band bought it from me and does fill-ins gigs with it and loves it . We both play it with PF 800 amps . It's only rated for 350 watts but has no problem getting loud . I'm sure the Genz would be at least as loud and most likely better able to handle more power . I say go for it .

baxter_x likes this.
  4. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Let's assume the speakers are damaged or I will have to swap them someday. What would be the best replacement? The Deltalite 2512 II?
    I already know Eminence makes the Legend CA10-8 as direct replacement speaker for the SWR Goliath III.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, but there will be a small difference in low frequency extension as well as a significant difference in mid voicing.

packhowitzer likes this.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've used the SWR cabinet many times and own a Neox 2x12.
    I think the SWR will go louder and lower, but honestly, I don't want club stage volume any louder than the 2x12 can produce.
    The sound quality is awesome. Just a great balance of low, mids, and highs without being super high fi.
    Plus you get to look like a bad a$$ when you one hand that big cabinet into a club (something like 43 lbs.)

Even if you play big stages, I'd much rather have the stage volume needs be made up for with standard front monitors or side fills.
    I bought mine from GC used for $500 and am so happy I did.

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Would you advise me another/better replacement speaker then?

8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Thanks, thats exactly the kind of feedback I'm after.
    About big stages, I only trust my rig to make sure I hear the tone I want. So I'll keep my trusty GIII ;)

Bassdirty likes this.
  9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Just for the record, the GB will get stupid loud but I remember the SWR to get stupid louder...

Omega Monkey and baxter_x like this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Not really, there's nothing that's "better" than the original factory parts. Everything else will be different, but the DeltaLite 2512 will be in the ballpark and have similar (slightly lower) mechanical power handling with existing enclosure tuning.

11. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    I have a NEOX 212t. I've owned countless dozens of cabs over the years- SWR, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, Epifani, on and on. The NEOX 212t is, hands down, the best sounding cab I've ever owned, and is an awesome single cab solution for stage use.

Zbysek, TinIndian, bombpop14 and 6 others like this.
  12. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I just picked up a 212T a couple months back, and it's a great cabinet. That being said, it's got a nice tight voicing in the low end. If you're looking for 410HLF-type "boom," this isn't it. I find it's transparent, so it'll give you "big" low end if you put big low end into it, but its never gonna be super wide

baxter_x and imabuddha like this.
  13. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I thought the Neox212 cabs had either Faitals or Kappalites in them? I swear I've seen that stated somewhere?

14. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I have owned a GIII for a while and have used them much longer. I don't have a NeoX, but I 2 have a pair of Uber Quads from roughly the same time period, and rated the same power handling and similar frequency response range. I also have a STL 210T and a 410T XB.

The GIII is one of my absolute favorite cabs of all time. They have a really nice and musical upper mid presence without being harsh, and a solid amount of lows and low mids. And because of their ridiculously high sensitivity (105 or 106 or something insane like that), I feel like I can just DUMP power into it to the point that it would just be WAY WAY louder than I could ever possibly need. The biggest gig I did with the GIII (powered by a GB GBE 750 actually) was a HUGE outdoor stage in a big outdoor area (obviously with ample PA support). The only real limit on the volume from that setup was sensitivity and courtesy to my bandmates and the audience.

The Uber Quad (which I suppose must use a fairly different 12 than the NeoX, since they are rated the same, and I can't imagine the 8s in the UQ are taking that much strain off the 12, if they're only crossed at like 500), seems to me to be much more low mid focused. That may be because of the overlap with the 8s, but I also feel like my ShuttleMax and especially my GBE also have some of that low mid emphasis, even when used with other cabs. So if the NeoX is more like that, it would kind of be like the reverse curve as the GIII. I would guess the NeoX is not as far towards that low mid focus, but that's just a semi-educated guess. The STL 210T and the XB cab don't really have that.

Volume wise, I don't think I would ever dare dump the amount of power into a single Uber Quad as I would into the GIII. Which is not to say the UQ is not a very capable cab, but that's why I have 2 of them, so I can get the volume I need in more extreme situations (ie metal gigs, outdoors, etc...) with the headroom on tap I need to feel comfortable that my expensive cabs are not going to get destroyed. Having said that, I'm not sure I've ever approached the limits of the UQ, either singly or in pairs. The closest would be a metal band practice in a small rehearsal room with a drummer who was just an absolute cymbal basher, with cheap garbage cymbals with zero musicality that just made a wall of noise. And the room was so small I was basically standing on top of the cab. I was nervous about the cab the whole time, although to be fair I never heard anything worrying, but my whole philosophy on gear is I never want to get close to that.

Anyway, I think if you can get by with the lowered volume capability, and the difference in sound, the NeoX might be fine. At the very least you shave off 30 pounds or so. But the GIII really is fantastic.

dabis and baxter_x like this.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Two questions about these speakers, Sir:
    Faital Neo 12PR300 – Avatar Speakers

How would they compare to the OEM Genz speakers?

And how would they compare to the Deltalite 2512?

kbakerde and Omega Monkey like this.
  16. Groovin61

Groovin61

Feb 25, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    I use the Neox 212T quite a bit and love it. Sounds phenomenal, pretty easy to load in and out, and gets plenty loud. You won"t be handicapped if you go that route.

TinIndian and bombpop14 like this.
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    They are custom OEM variants manufacturers by Eminence and/or Faital. I believe all of the Neo-X are Eminence parts and the NEO-X 2 use the Faital drivers.

Those are NOT 12PR300 drivers and have been continuously misrepresented as such by the seller.

They are similar to the Eminence drivers with slightly better low frequency extension and a slightly more polite mid voicing.

packhowitzer and donahue like this.
  18. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Those are the OEM Genz speakers, for SOME of their cabs. I don't remember which ones, but it's been talked about. I would say it's likely that they are used in the NeoX cabs but can't say for certain.

EDIT: Well there you go. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

19. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Very curious about these as well and nearly sent a PM to Andy to ask if these were correct for the NeoX
    (like right before everyone got laid off).
    As I understand it, GB used different drivers in the rat fur version (I think Eminence) and possibly Fatial's in the Tolex version? It would be good to know the correct info on this.

You guys reminded me of how much I like this cab and how much it would cost to get something I liked as much or better. Buying a spare set of drivers is sounding like a very good idea.
    Even without the weight difference, I often times prefer this cab to my much more expensive Berg cabinet as the GB oftentimes sits in the mix better than a more hi-fi, PA style cabinet.

dabis and smogg like this.
  20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    So if push comes to shove would the Faital NX2 drivers be an acceptable replacement for the Eminence oem drivers for the neoX box? (if no more eminence drivers were to be readily available)