Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a good easy to use looper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 15, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey all,
    im in the market for a good and easy to use looping device. i need to it run at least 5 loops at one time. if it has programs/presets or whatever that would be good too. i dont know about speeds and milliseconds, i havent actually figited with all that. but any help would be great. thanks a lot.

2. [​IMG]

\

I guess this sin't really what you want but for simplicity and effectiveness, it can't be beat IMO.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks ms. ill read up on it. any other suggestions?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Everyone I know who owns a Boss RC-20 loop station loves it. None of them, however, are bassists, so I don't know how it fares with reproducing low frequencies.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It fares well. I have one, I love it. Super extra long loop time, the ability to save loops, reverse, it rocks. :bassist:

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks guys ill look into that.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    From what I understand, the Line6 is recommended over the RC-20 for real time layering.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    but the line 6 has like 30 (somwhere close to) seconds. most others (boss, boomerang) have minutes worth. thast what i need, loops that will last a few good minutes.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    why? RC20 does it flawlessly and w/o weird level changes (as has been my personal experience of the line6).

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I have 3 sources.

1.) This, taken from an online review:

>>>But there seems to be one main drawback as far as I can tell. With the DL4, when you are recording a loop and want to set the end point, depending on the switch you use you can have the loop start again either in play mode or overdub mode, a nice flexibility.

But with the RC-20 it seems there is not that same flexibilty. You set the end point of the loop and have it restart by hitting the left switch. This leaves you with the loop playing, like play mode on the DL4. To get into overdub mode you have to hit the same switch again. I imagine with practice one could get this sequence down pretty well, but you'd never be able to get to a mode where you're overdubbing right from the re-start of the loop.

This seems like it would be a real pain. I'd love to know there is a way around this.

The other thing is the lack of the function the expression pedal adds to the DL4 of controlling the loop level.

The question is whether the much longer loop time compensates for this. I'm thinking it might end up doing do for me. But if someone could tell me I'm missing something about how to go right into overdub mode, that would be great...
    <<<

2.) the opinion of a bandmate and local singer, songwriter that does extensive real time looping of both guitar and vocals.

3.) I remember Steve Lawson echoing the same sentiments. He's definitely the guy to ask on this board.

Mind you in all of these cases we're talking about real time layering, on the fly, in front of an audience.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The original poster said 5 loops running at the same time. Do you mean 5 independent tracks that can be turned on and off independently? If you do, then there are only two loopers that can do it: Gibson/Oberheim Digital Echoplex and Lexicon Jamman with Bob Sellon's custom software.

BTW, the biggest thing that the pedals are missing is MIDI sync. Rack mount loopers with MIDI sync capability can be tied to get with other looping gear with the same capability to maintain sync between all of the devices.

If you tell me a little about what your specific plans are, I'd be happy to recommend gear. I have been researching loopers and have gotten to be fairly knowledgeable about their pros and cons.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey xyllion. yae im looking for a couple of things, if it takes multiples loopers then so be it. first im looking for a looper that i can store loops in. you knwo where in the middle of the song i can hit a switch and the loops will come in, not where i have to play it and set it etc. im also looking for a looper that will play about 5 independent loops each having a loop time of roughly a minute or so. wheather or not i use the hole minute doesnt matter. and then im looking for something that can just do quick and easy looping with all the fancys or whatever. i was thinking getting the echoplex and the boss? i dont know, thanks for the help. and thanks for the help everyone else.

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    The only looper that I know of that remembers loops after powering it down is the Boss RC-20.

The advantage of the Echoplex is that you can create a loop and then create more loops that run simultaneously. Then any of the loops can be turned on and off to create new combinations of the loop. But it suffers like the rest in that it doesn't remember loops after it is powered off.

The absolute best resource for information is http://www.loopers-delight.com. It is an excellent web site. I'm also happy to answer any questions that I can.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks very much for the help. yea i was thinking echoplex, if i can find one. and the boss. and use 1 of each. plenty of options.

15. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm pretty sure this isn't true. The Echoplex cannot have more than one loop playing at once. You can have up to 16 loops, but you can only cycle through them, not turn them on and off, and only one will play at a time. You can, however, overdub infinitely; maybe that's what you meant?

I could certainly be wrong, but if you can play more than one loop at a time, I haven't found out how to do it with the Echoplex.

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yes, you are correct. I think in terms of the Bob Sellon software for the Jamman which actually does what I said. The Echoplex does offer similar capabilities with their copying and undo features. Those features allow you to record, overdub, and then return to the original track that was recorded before overdubbing. As far as I know, these are the only two that offer this feature unless you do your looping with a computer and looping software.

I've had dreams of manufacturing my own looper, but I'm not sure that I have the money and the right connections to get the business going. I certainly know what I would do to improve upon what's out there.

17. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'd love a hardware looper that could do some of the granular mangling that Granulab and Audiomulch (both software) can do.