A Good EQ Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shauny, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Right I've tried searching but the search function disables the word "eq" because its to short. Heres my sistuation, I play through a Laney BC75 combo amp. Often when moving this from house to gig or wotever the settings on my EQ get changed. So I was thinking about getting a pedal which I could set my EQ on and then not have to worry about it changing in transit. Any sugestions for good EQ's for bass? My Laney has the followiing controls:

Would an EQ pedal be a wise option? Or would I be better of buying a new amp first as this is the only amp I've ever had and I am looking to experiment with some other options espcially as I'm giging more now. Any advice anyone?
  2. if you use an eq pedal with your settings, into an amp, its still going to sound different every time if your amp is set up slightly differently. If you have a sound you like on your amp, perhaps try marking the settings lightly with a marker pen (if you dont want to write on the amp put some electrical tape on the the control plate). Simple solution, no extra money!
  3. Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Sorry prehapes I didnt make it clear that I would set the amp to flat eq and use the pedal. Marking its not really an option because I am constiantly tweaking it but its just anoying when all the settings get moved...
  4. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I'd go with a 10 band from MXR or Electro-Harmonix or a rackmount graphic EQ. I wanted to do the same thing with my amp and bought a Boss Bass EQ and it dident work at all. The upper mids are critical to getting my tone and Boss's bands gave me no control over them since they are oddly spaced. I've seen the EH's go on eBay for less than $50, but you'll have to make room on your pedal board.
  5. Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Ive looked at the MXR on their website, but it doesnt say what frequencys you can control with it. Also says that its for guitar, so does anyone have any experience with this pedals usefulness on bass?
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    From gig to gig, you are always going to have to adjust your EQ because not every room is the same.

So why buy an eq pedal?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the mxr m-108 goes down 31hz. The page on the Jim Dunlop/MXR website has the manual for download, which tells you all the frequencies.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The old Boss PQ-3B can be found for cheap and is very efficient.
    It would nicely complement your graphic EQ.
  9. Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    It's the best one I know of