1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A good external EQ for a bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jablues, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Hi all,
    I´ve been looking for a similar thread but I couldn´t find it so, Which do do think is a good (or the best) external EQ to add to a bass amp ??
    J.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Raven Labs True Blue EQ.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Do you want a floor EQ, Rack mount, parametric or graphic, analog or digital. I really like the stuff from Klark Teknik if you want a rack mount graphic EQ.

4. If you have balanced connections, a Rane ME30B.

5. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    I prefer a rack mount analog parametric EQ. I don´t know very much about EQ´s but I think could be a good idea to add one to my bass head (Aggie DB750).
    J.

6. oohh. like this one!!
    rack2.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Okay, if you don't want to deal with the 1/2 rack sized True Blue, then I highly recommend the Ashley PQX 571.

Tom.

8. Why? What are you hoping to gain?

9. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Oh, no, it doesn´t matter if is a 1/2 rack size. :)
    I think a few days ago I saw a picture from a TB'er showing his Aguilar DB750 with a 1/2 rack sized parametric EQ, but I don´t remember where I saw it. He said that EQ was very transparent....................don´t remember the manufacturer!:(
    J.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    That was jokerjkny with his Speck parametric EQ. :D

11. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Well, the Aggie DB750 is an awesome amp but sometimes I need an extra EQ help because of the differents rooms where I´m playing or just to cut or boost some frequencies to find the sound I need. :)
    J.

12. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Yeeesssssssss, oh yes, he was. :hyper:
    Thanks mate,
    J.

13. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Try a Behringer Ultra-Q Pro PEQ2200 Parametric EQ. 5 bands of EQ 20Hz to 20Khz, and 1 space rack mount. Even though this is a discontnued model you can still find them for around $70 new.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

Well, actually +3 channels of 'em in my PA rack. I do use one for bass fairly often too though. It actually works pretty well as a standalone preamp for my purposes. The Symetrix 551E is another good sounding, moderately priced parametric.

The K-T and Speck units mentioned would be great choices if you want to spend that much dough.

15. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I've used a Behringer FBQ3102 in my rig. It's a dual 31-band, 2RU. I used one channel for stage and the other for the house feed. In addition to the regular EQ sliders, I found the high-cut and low-cut controls were quite useful. These things are easy to find for ~$130.

16. I have found that the 1/3 rack space EQ3B by Presonus is a very handy, light, easily "placeable" tool to have in my gig bag. I've used it either in the bass signal chain or as an insert to the board's bass channel. In addition, it has also helped clean up the IEM monitor mix as well.

It's only 3 bands of fully parametric EQ, but the Q is variable, the frequencies of the band have nice overlapping regions for when you're looking to modify one side of the frequency spectrum, and the small size lets it get placed just about anywhere. The circuit is simple and very, very clean.

The other 1/2 rack parametric unit I use is the ART Tube EQ. This is a bit more colored - with a very nice tube it is very clean and focused in it's overall sound. It's not a true parametric as the Q is fixed, but the freq selectors allow for quite a bit of tone shaping that is very useful for any application, including bass. I find that this in conjuntion with the Tube PAC creates a very nice, very warm, very tubey (3 tubes in the chain) bass tone for my light rig. Just be sure to use good tubes. I was lucky that the Tube PAC came with a decent EH 12ax7 together with a very nice Philips 5751 for the compressor stage. That combined with the EQ made for a very flexible preamp"ing" stage for that rig.

Jay