1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Good First Mountain Bike?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kruton, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I have recently been going Mountain Biking in the trails around here. Lots of fun! I have just been borrowing friends bikes but now I want my own of course. What would y'all recommend for a good, fairly cheap first bike. I would like to keep it to about ~$300 but if it REALLY WORTH IT i might be able to stretch to $500, but that's it, at least until I get another job. I would also not want to worry about it too much in case I take a spill.

What should I look for? Any brands that are better of brands I should stay away from? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Edit: I read that, for under $1000, it is best to stick to hardtails. Is this true?

2. I Was/Am an Avid rider, I ride A P.street, You might be able to Find A Kona Stuff, or specialized P. series used for that amount. I would say stick to HT It'll make your more of a smooth Rider.

I saw we all post pics of our bikes.

pbpic706649.

3. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Some Norco, Kona, Specialized, some Cannondale or maybe middle-end Treks can do this job fairly well.

I'll post a picture of my Norco Evolve (built off a Kona Scrap) tonight if I can.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have a Marin and my wife has a Trek that would fall into the sub $1000 range of hardtails (just barely). Both are very nice bikes. Both companies make bikes in the $300-$500 range. I would agree that in the sub $1000 range it is tough to get a good dually.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A good quality HT mtn bike will set you back about $500. At this level you can expect reasonable durability and performance.

Checkout the big box bike stores like Performance and REI for good deals on full suspension bikes under a grand.

I ride a Sycip hardtail.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ya dont fall into the buy at walmart mountain biker like i did. You will carry it out of the woods and trails in pieces like i did :smug:

7. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I was big into biking back about 15 years ago, but have not rode in years. Now that I think of it, I have a pretty decent Giant mountain bike that I may have to sell to fund the new bass....

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You'll take a very big loss when you sell a used MTB. I have a $4000 bike that I probably won't be able to sell for much more than $1500 anymore. May as well keep it in case the dirt calls you again.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Trek, Cannondale, or Mongoose are good place to start. You'll get a much better bike in that price range if you stick to the hardtail. I once scored a $1000 Mongoose for about $400 by buying it used from a place that rented them out. It only had about 4 hours of riding time on it and it was all in the city.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    a ha!!! wondering where the name came from!

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Her name is Charlotte the Harlot

(the bike, not the guy)

[​IMG]

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I ride a 2003ish Haro V1... it's pretty solid for $300... works well... light, responsive, and problem free thus far.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have one of these.

item-20050711221713903.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The mid-priced Trek stuff is solid, a used 6900 (hardtail, new $1000, used...4-500) would be a great find. They are not heavy and pretty bulletproof in my experience. I took many a spill on mine.

Ride it for a while and step up to a dual suspension when you are ready to lay out bigger bucks. I am riding an '07 Specialized Epic comp at the moment.

W

15. Man... all this bike talk is making me feel all nostalgic. I quit doing NORBA events 12 years ago because I got burned out. Of course, that was 40 pounds ago, so I don't think there's any physical way I could ever really get back into it again. :( :bawl:

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Plus one on at least checking the used market - I can't believe the stuff that turns up on craiglist around here for both road and mountain bikes.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dood, hit your local races and go Clydesdale class! In the Super D!

18. If you have a limited budget you'll get more performance for your money with a hardtail. You can get a reasonably light, reasonably well-equipped hardtail for $500. You could spend twice that on a FS and not have as good a bike. Plus, everyone should learn on a HT. Getting into a FS bike too early can encourage bad habits. Better to learn how to ride on a HT and then transfer the skills. Depending on your local terrain and/or trail preferences you might not ever want to go with FS. All the major manufacturers offer HTs in your price range. Giant, Specialized, Trek, Norco, Kona, etc. You're better off sticking with the bigger companies, the boutique bikes are a lot pricier.

I like my big full squish but I spent several years on a HT before I ever got an FS bike. I actually think I'm going to build up a HT this year.

My ride:

[​IMG]

Couple action shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sweet! Utah?

How do you pronounce Sycip anyway?

20. Super D... those courses are pretty cool. :) I'm certainly large enough to ride Clydesdale (205 lb. right now). :spit: