1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a good high mass bridge with low saddles? (neck through)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DanAdams, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I searched for answers, everyone said shim the neck. I have an Argentinian neck through from the eighties. It had a cracked neck at the nut, but I managed to fix it. HOORAY. I have the thing set up as well as possible, but I want to go lower.
    What bridges have the lowest profile?

I don't want to rout it, I know how to set up a bass, the relief is good. If you look you can see that the fretboard is pretty darn close to the front surface of the bass. A fender compatible 'five screws across the bottom' would be nice as the bass already has holes there.

I also have no desire to use this wacko ugly old Shadow piezo 1/8th inch jack bridge. It's missing some tiny irreplaceable saddle covers anyway.

Thanks
    IMG_6085.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Can you measure what min string height of the G is you need?

Hipshot A style minimum is .39"

B style is .38"

Both around 3/8"

DanAdams likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Before you go investing in a new bridge, just be sure the pickups will go low enough if you go to lower saddles.

DanAdams and mech like this.
  4. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Babicz is available in string through, is one of the best bridges out there and (I think) the cam/saddle will go all the way down to the bridge plate, or close to it.

As an alternative, you could try exposed core strings like LaBella Supersteps. Only the skinny core of the string sits on the saddle, so they naturally sit lower and normally would require you to raise the saddles a lot.

DanAdams likes this.
  5. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Great ideas. I would like to have the option to go as low as .32 although I doubt I could go that low. I'm bottomed out at .38 right now...
    I like the idea of trying exposed cores. I never have before. my pickups can go very low. I just shoved a bunch of foam under them, plenty of clearance there.
    right now I have a cheap fender style bridge off an old Cort or something. Maybe I'll try grinding the bottom of the round saddles before I spend money or decide to rout it.
    It's made trickier by the fact that the fretboard has no radius. It's flat. Some good bridges (schaller) get fatter for the middle two strings to match fretboard radius

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Honestly, an old school Fender threaded saddle bridge will probably go as low or lower than anything on the market. As old as they are, there are very few, if any bridges out there that are actually better

Lownote38 and 96tbird like this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

^exactly. Hopkins speaks the truth.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That bass is begging for a Schaller roller bridge. It is fairly low profile, qualifies as "high mass" (even though I personally find this unimportant), and matches the vibe of the bass. Just put a little drop of white glue on the rollers so that the string spacing doesn't get knocked around every time you change strings.

10. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I wish. the center two strings on a Schaller are too high. I've got a spare Schaller right here on my desk right now.
    this fretboard has 0 radius. A Schiller's E & G saddle appear to go down to .35" or so (GREAT), but the A and D minimum height is around .40 as the base of the bridge has a radius to it to match most fretboards.