1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good IEM system for clubs and medium sized venues

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JGbassman, May 6, 2018.

1. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    As the title says, I’m looking for a current batch of IEM wireless systems that will work from small dive bars to medium sized venues (2k peeps) which is the extremes of the places I play these days.

I have a nice set of 6 driver custom molded 1964 ears that I used when touring, I’m looking at the actual systems.

I don’t need top of the line, but something with rechargeable batteries is a must. I won’t go through the buying batteries for every weekend gig again.

I’ve looked hard at the Shure PSM 900 which seems to be a nice compromise between cost and performance. I looked at the psm300 system, but I didn’t see a rechargeable body pack option.

I know there had been a lot of new technology and issues with frequencies in the last few years, anything I should know about, or am I on the right track with the psm 900 system? 1500 is about all I want to spend.

Thanks.

2. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Interesting. Either I'm dead on with my research and the shure is the best system on the market for my needs, or no one runs wireless in ears here.....

Either way, I figured someone would have a comment regarding the new systems out these days.

I did run a sennheiser system when I was touring, I'm not sure of the model, but the thing had quite a few drops and it ate a set of AA batteries every six hours of use. That turned me a bit off from their stuff regarding wireless in ear systems.

Shure must still be the best system out there. I use a wireless vocal and guitar system and couldn't be happier with them.

3. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    The Shure PSM300RA system has a metal receiver that works with the rechargable system the 900 uses.

It's $100 more at Sweetwater and such.
    Shure P3TRA215CL Wireless In-ear Monitor System - G20 Band

It's the RA designation that tells them apart I believe (the pack is aluminum instead of plastic?).

Good luck

JGbassman likes this.
  4. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    Fwiw my band uses 3 PSM300s, everyone loves them.

JGbassman likes this.
  5. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I also have the psm300 with rechargeable battery setup. It works really well and I can get 7 or 8 hours of gig time from a charge.

JGbassman likes this.
  6. The new sennheiser g4 iem system gets my vote but if you are on a budget get the psm300 as its in my opinion the most affordable usable system with good sound quality.

JGbassman likes this.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I’ve been using the Audio Technica M2 for more than a year. It has been flawless. I use 8 Duracell rechargeable batteries, rotating two at a time after each gig or rehearsal. So far, I have no reason to look at anything else.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    JGbassman likes this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Been using the Senn G3 IEM for a couple of year.. works great with my 1964 A8's.... :)

Note that these devices are NOT 2.4 or 5G ranges. They are in the 400-614MHz (UHF) range and SHARE the spectrum with local TV stations. So, whatever vendor you decide:
    IMPORTANT: make sure that you buy the appropriate "band" for your area.
    If you pick the WRONG band, you'll get massive interference from local TV transmitters, with hiss, dropouts and you may even pick up local TV broadcast audio. Then.. you'll end up blaming the wireless system. :)
    For example in the zip codes I checked for Senn - the "G" band was best. So my G3 IEM is "G" band.
    It's a flip top battery compartment, and uses rechargeable (2800 mAH) AA batts.

Here's links to both the Shure and Senn "checker".. Enter product and zip and it will tell you the best for your area (A, B, G, H, J, .. etc.)
    SHURE: Wireless Frequency Finder | Shure Americas
    Senn: Sennheiser - Headphones & Headsets - Microphones - Business Communications

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    JGbassman and musicman7722 like this.
  9. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for the replies. I didn’t know the 300 series could be found with a rechargeable battery system. It hit all the needs I had for a system, so I will definitely be checking it out.

Ethereal Thorn likes this.
  10. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Any of those listed will be just fine. I use Sennheiser EW300 G3. Yes, it's standard batteries...but I can buy a 48pk of batteries for 12 buck that will last me an entire year of gigging steadily, and I don't have to remember to charge anything. IMO the rechargeable battery idea is kind of a double-edged sword.

11. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for the reply, I’m not interested in using conventional batteries but if the 300 can use rechargeable ones I’m sold

12. They have a rechargeable pack but you have to buy it and the charger separately

s0c9 likes this.
  13. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Did someone revive this thread from a decade ago? Who still thinks you need to buy a "rechargeable" unit??? With the not-recent advent of low self-discharge rechargeable batteries in standard sizes, why waste enormous money buying someone's proprietary battery (and charger!) designs? No more reliable than eneloops, and frighteningly expensive to buy a backup. Meanwhile, I can bring a boatload of fully charged batteries with me for a few bucks.

So I gues I'm the opposite of thd OP. I will *only* buy a system that uses a standard battery type, and use rechargeables of course. (This also has the extra benefit of being able to pick up a pack of duracells in a crunch).

SoCal80s, Renaissance and Johnny Crab like this.
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Eneloops have served us well for a LONG time(we quit buying AA's when Eneloops came out). I charge enough AA's per gig to have spares, double the amount if we're double-booked. Line 6 G50, G55, and Shure(guitarist retired from #1 country act's road band) wireless transmitters, Line 6 wireless mic(for guests, walk-ons, or corporate event announcer use), and Mipro 909 IEM system.

Mipro IEM system works for me.

BassikLee likes this.
  15. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion, seems you have no troubles sharing it with us here as well. I’m super excited for you, that you will only buy a unit that takes standard batteries, but that’s just not what I’m interested in. If that works for you, party on Wayne.

I’m looking for something along the lines of my shure GLX-D, which has a built in battery port, or a way to recharge the supplied batteries. The above mentioned system runs an average of 16 hours on a full charge, and has never once failed in the hundreds of shows I’ve used them in over the last three years or so. I’m simply looking for an wireless monitor system along those lines. It’s been a few years since I’ve used a wireless monitor system and was wondering what the current technology had in store for me. If modern rechargeable batteries are on par with the GLXD system, I’d be interested. If not, well then I’ll pass. A good rechargeable system is so reliable I wouldn’t need s handful of batteries as backups.

So please keep the snarky comments to yourself. If you have useful information to put out, then I would appreciate that. If not, then move on son, nothing here for you.

Peace

16. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m not familiar with Mipro, or eneloops. I will look into them. Thanks.

17. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I use rechargeable AA batteries for my IEM pack. (Shure PSM300). Work just like any other rechargeable battery, spares are cheap, and they can be used in other systems besides the IEM. I bet the charger is cheaper as well, but can’t prove that currently.

I say this as a “FWIW, having a rechargeable battery really shouldn’t be a prerequisite in choosing a system. Cause you can add that cheaply”.

I’d concern yourself more with brand reliability and usability. Which of course Shure, Sennheiser, and Audio-Technica all excel.

JGbassman likes this.
  18. A rechargeable battery is a rechargeable battery. Does it really matter what shape it has?

I use eneloops and love them.

Sorry, nothing to add about an IEM system.

JGbassman likes this.
  19. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    One advantage to the battery that is made to go with the shore PSM300 system is that it enables the pack to show a little more info regarding power management. It also allows the pack to be placed into a charging base to be charged, something that is very useful if you have multiple systems in use.

Small things to some make a difference to others. I myself have no desire to carry around a bunch of spare batteries. I have a charger on the end table in my house, and one in the gig bag in case I need it on the go. It's a very efficient system and I like it.

JGbassman likes this.
  20. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Wow, you ask for opinions, and then tell someone to keep their opinion to themselves?

I *was* answering your question, in a light-hearted (if slightly snarky) way. Would a few :) ;) :) 's have helped???

Indeed, almost every poster after me has agreed with me, that there is absolutely no need to artificially limit your search to proprietary rechargeable aystems.

Perhaps from now on you should clarify in your posts that you are not interested in any opinion that differs from your preconceived notions, and everyone will know to only offer their opinion if it agrees with yours...