1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good little experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, May 1, 2015.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Had a small gig yesterday with two friends on piano and guitar/vocal. I brought my old trusted Yorkville Sound Bloc80 combo and my slightly modified LTD Vintage-204 with EMG Geezer Butler PJ mics. First gig I've done on a P bass since the 80s. It was wonderful.

The setup had the right bark and bottom to it, and the bass gave me the right feel and attitude to keep the foundation and time of the band. I've spent a few hours working on the bass to get it to play well, but now it plays awesome, sounds great, and feels right.

It doesn't have to cost a million. I think the LTD is a great bass at the price point but might require a little work to get its potential out. I like the extra character added by the EMGs

But in the end, it's my fingers doing the job, that's where the sound really lies. I've played with this guitar player quite a bit, he's mainly a piano player... But anyway, I told him about the bass and how happy I was with it.

His response was, "i don't care if you play a $50 plywood bass, as long as it's you playing it will sound good anyway."

Not trying to brag, I just happen to agree on the point that the sound is in your fingers and is to a large degree equipment independent. Sure, there is subtle differences between pickups, amps and basses. But as long as the bass is "good enough", there's a lot more to gain in working with technique and feel.

So, in my mind, the LTD and the Bloc80 proved to be a great platform for me to express myself on. I don't think my other basses and amps worth 10 times these would have made a difference in the world yesterday.

It was a reminder to me, anyway, that GAS is in the eye and mind more than in the sound and feel. If you don't sound right, the biggest problem is in your fingers.

Get what you can afford and make it work. Then practice. Make your fingers sound the way your want.

2. RyFi

RyFi

Jun 3, 2011
    Regina, SK
    I think and would hope that few would argue with this. Once you've got a rig that's good enough, there's infinitely more potential benefit in working on your chops than in fretting over the minutiae of your hardware. But the pursuit of spiffier new toys is just totally human nature, and when we need some time to rest between practices, it's just, like, way more fun to talk about gear on forums than it is to talk about practicing and technique :smug:.

MrWalker likes this.
  3. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I'm as guilty as anyone and probably more than most in hunting gear, so I'm not trying to be all that wise. Hehe

It was just a good reminder. Usually the best cure for my GAS is to play more. :)

RyFi and High ISO like this.
  4. JollySpudd

JollySpudd Guest

Jul 17, 2013
    You just invented a new genre "Antacid Rock" :-D ~ As for the fingers... A resounding YES!!! Considering that all of this musical instrument stuff likely started with rocks and logs, and in many cases still is, It's gotta come from the player, no matter what the gear. -- A friend of mine (may he rest) told me about when he was being taught the saxophone by his father. His dad made him practice on just the mouth piece for a month or two first to develop the foundation of his tone in his mouth, breathing and lips foremost. Only when his dad felt he was "getting it" there, was he allowed to connect the rest of the horn.
    :D

MrWalker likes this.