A Good Little Practise Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Can some folks help me to narrow down the choice for a small practise amp. Perhaps something around the 20 - 30 watt range. I've tried headphones but they make my ears sore after 45 minutes or so of use so I'll have to break down and get me an amp. I would prefer something with good quality sound so money doesn't enter the picture.
  2. If you can, try out some of the SWR combos.

The LA series and the Workingmans series might have something you're interested in.
  3. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Peavey Microbass 1x8"
  4. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    Peavey microbass

5. Peavey Minx 110.

One-hand carry, loud enough for a coffee shop gig, and reasonable tone for a practice amp.

Cheap and plentiful on eBay.
  6. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    if i am correct, bass player magazine did a review on 1x8s and the peavey microbass was voted the best. but ive never had the chance to try one myself.
  7. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

What he said.
  8. I have a workingmans 10 (SWR) and it's great!!! add an extension cab and you have a fat tone. (the 10 by itself is not real great for 5-string). It has a good preamp, all the controls are there, just like the 'big' workingmans. I got mine for $300 used. It's a great amp! 80w, 1x10
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ampeg BA-110 - get 'em on ebay for a next to nothin'.
  10. Another vote for a Fender Bassman, but the Peavey Minx and Microbass are good, too.
  11. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    If you want a little more power, the Carvin Combos are pretty good. I have had my 100W/10" for a couple years and have no complaints (other than my cats like to use it as a scratching post). It sounds good, and has enough volume to play with a drummer.
  12. Microbass (The older models are bad but the new ones are nice for the price)
  13. 12Toes

Apr 19, 2001
    Lexington, KY
    These are perfect little boxes for practice. Headphone jack, effects loop, and much louder than I expected.
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

One more for the Microbass.
  15. I forgot to say...don't get an SWR LA series! I tried one and did not like the sound.
  16. Don't get the peavy minx. I had to use one temporarily for marching band, and the best description of it's sound is poop.
  17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I like the Microbass too-nice fat sound for a small amp. :)
  18. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    the reason why i chose the microbass over the fender during that fateful day at the instrument shop was

1. it was abt much cheaper then fender

2. it sounded MUCH better then the fender

there value for money !

and sound quality is there .

i think mine is the old model ..

i think the new models might be better
    i have never tried it b4 :) :cool:
  19. I've got a washburn bd30b but i reckon peavy microbass is the go.