A Good Midi Pickup for Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jontom, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    What is a good midi pickup for bass? I have an Alesis Nanopiano module and no room to set up a keyboard on stage, hence I'd like to play the sounds off of my bass.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Only Yamaha and Roland produce MIDI captors and converters for basses, AFAIK.
    Actually, I'm not sure Yamaha still makes them.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    three letters - r.m.c. www.rmcpickup.com. i have these piezo/synth modules installed on 4 of my basses, and will eventually have it on my doubleneck as well as a few more of the singles. tracking is superb, much better than the external pickups like the roland.

if you are set on having the external pickup, axon also makes a bass pickup, and i've heard that it responds very well.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Don't forget you'll also need a bass-to-midi converter to trigger your Alesis (the RMC and Roland/Axon pickups are just pickups, they don't convert the signal to MIDI).

Roland only makes guitar models, such as the GR-33. And I've heard that using the Roland floor-units such as those a) sucks for bass, and b) is crap at triggering external MIDI devices (large delay for some reason).

Yamaha used to make one (rack unit), and I think Axon as well (the Yamaha licensed the Axon technology, I believe. IIRC it used neural nets).
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i have the axon unit - ax100sb. this is _THE_ solution for bass synth, imo. roland units don't track below the c on the a string, and they lag pretty bad and glitch often with bass sound sources (the vbass/vg8 units don't suffer from this but they are not true midi synth units either).

the only experience i have with the yamaha rack unit was at a namm show, at their booth a few years ago, and it performed horribly, but that might have just been the setup there. i think mark gollihur has a yamaha unit (tb name sixandeightstringer) and i think he's had good success with it, so you may want to ask him about it.

imo, however, the axon is the way to go, from my experience. i've had excellent tracking and performance from mine.