A good overdriven sound ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Wheeler, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good overdriven sound ... addition thru an effect's loop ("plug-in") ... that will take a signal and make it Ampegish (or not Ampegish) but still very Groovey?

I've heard SIB! FATDRIVE http://www.smfamps.com/fatdrive.htm

and possibly BUTLER 12ax7a Real tube overdrive
    ... with a 12AU7.

Good Bad Ugly options?
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I haven't tried one, but the fulltone bassdrive has gotten nothing but seriously good reviews. Jazz Ad has one, and he says it's the best overdrive pedal ever.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The best option would probably be an SWR IOD, but Fulltone makes great stuff and would be more economical.
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    My only real gigging experience is with my SWR IOD, both as my preamp, and through the effects loop of my SWR WM15 combo.

I don't know if it'll give you the Apemgish and Groovy sound you're gunning for, but it's a great overdriven sound that keeps all the lows even without mixing in the non-overdriven sound, but mixes well.

But I think the only downside is that it's expensive when bought new, expensive if you're only going to use it for the OD, and takes up an entire rack space and weighs 10 lbs.

But since its my preamp, i think its great. The overdrive is a bonus for me, added on top of having a great sounding pre.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd really like an IOD, since it also has a 7-watt EL-84 power amp in it. That'd make a kickass practice amp to get overdrive at lower volumes. Too bad it costs wayyy too much. :bawl: