Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good pace

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rohan, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Rohan

Rohan

Apr 2, 2000
    I am currently using the book "Slap Bass Technique" by Stephan Richter. I was wondering if anyone else has used this book. It comes with a nifty little CD to use too.

Well, my question was about pacing myself. I made it a New Years resolution to actually finish a bass book for once, but I was wondering how long it should take to get through the material. There are like 146 lessons, and that is like 2.5 lessons a day to finish the book within a year. Is that pace way to fast or to slow? Rounded up, 3 lessons a day seems like a lot to take on, especially the lessons later in the book. But on the other hand, taking a year to finish a book seems like a really really long time. So I figured it would be best if I asked people who have been playing much longer than I have.

I've been playing for almost 4 years now, and I am good enough to play with most people, but the other day this guy was doing some **** that just totally blew me away. So I decided I should start working a lot harder now, because my hands are definitly strong enough to put up with pushing myself really hard, and I am tired of being just good enough when I want to be great.

I would get a teacher, but the last one sucked, I figured out after 3 months that he left so many holes in my theory that I couldn't apply anything that I had learned, and the one before that was even worse. It seems like around my area (small town in the midwest) the music teachers just like to show you some riffs and send you along your way. So I am trying to learn this stuff on my own now but have no idea about how to pace myself.

Thanks,
    Rohan

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Rohan -

I'm sorry you're in the midwest, because if you were near here (Central FL) there are a plethura (sp? :) ) of wonderful teachers: Beaver Felton, Dave LaRue, and Jeff Berlin to name just 3 (I teach as well, but I'm certainly not in their class :eek: ;) ).

As for a pace that is right, well, don't set time limits on yourself. Everyone learns at a different pace, you should set limits on how well you know the material in question before moving on instead. Don't move on from one lesson to another until you have fully comprehended and "internalized" the information in the present one.

I have books that I've been working out of for 5 years or more, and still work on almost every day. I've been playing music for over 20 years, and still try to take lessons from musicians that have knowledge or experience that I don't. I make a point of picking the brain of every musician I come in contact with for ideas, no matter what level they're at (I've learned as much or more from students than I have from teachers at times).

It's a mistake to get into a hurry, remember that learning music is a lifelong goal, you will never stop learning unless you just quit. When you take the long view, I think you'll see that one year isn't that big of a deal.