a good phase pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman60, Jan 7, 2002.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Who makes a good phase pedal for bass that won't sap the low notes and is a minimum on noise??? Can you guys give me some advice??? thanks
  2. I use something called the Maestro Stage Phaser. It is a big huge wedge shaped pedal made back in the 70s. I think it sounds great with bass. (Sounds great with guitar too but my guitarist can have it when he prys it from my cold dead hands. ;) )

It's actually been more useful in the band than I thought. Nice for adding a mild swooshing in a quiet part of a song and great for really extreme spacey sounding sections.

Keep in mind that it's the nature of a phaser to cut bass at part of the sweep.
  3. I'm sold on the Line6 stomp box modulars, the MM4 is a great little tool to have the phasor on that is very cool. If you don't want to spend major money I'd go for the MXR phase 90 or 100 or the EH smallstone...
  4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    I'v been told that the MXR phase 90 is really good. I have been wondering about the boss phase shifter(it got good reviews in bass player) and the guyatone phaser(its supposed to be based on the vintage MXR phaser 90 but its aobut half the price.
  5. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    do you have a link to the reviews for this pedal in bass player? I would really like to read them if you could send them to me I'd appreciate it.

or just post them on this thread

thanks a lot
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I used to have an original late 1970s EH Small Stone phaser and it sounded really good with bass (very creamy), the bad thing was that it doesn't have true-bypass (Unless you can work the electronics mod found at various places on the web) but you can still hear it swoosh slightly in the background even when not on. :(
    When it was on it sounded great. If you could put in in a separate effects loop it would be cool.
    I ended up selling mine due to the lack of true bypass.

7. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Does it make noise when it is turned off????
  8. i have heard complaints about it making noise when its off but so far i really havent had any problems with any of my effects making a noticable amount of noise when off and i use a pretty heavy setup. all around the phase 90 is the way to go imo
  9. MXR pedals are all true-bypass aren't they? In that case, with the effect off, you'll hear nothing of the effect. But, with the effect on, but not playing, you'll hear a slight swirl in the background. Not a biggie, no-one'll hear it apart from you...

The BOSS super phaser is supposed to be nice.

Pearl did a neat-o phaser (if you can find one) with dual-speed (it has a speed switch as well as the effect switch) with inertia (the phasing would speed up or slow down to the new setting).

For me the best i've ever heard and used (and still use) is the TC Electronic XII B/K phaser (the bass/keyboard version). Smooth, amazing sound, and plenty of cool options (including an expression pedal input).
  10. im almost positive that The Phase 90 (i dont know about their other effects) is NOT true bypass
  11. After (accidentally) coming across some info on the web about this, I think you are correct.

I guess I often assume that since a pedal has a "real" switch (not just a momentary contact like DOD and Boss pedals) that true bypass would be wired in - I mean, it's damn simple...
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have an EHX small stone, which has a sweet sort of mellow smooth type sound, and a Boss PH-3 phase shifter, which is an amazingly versatile, very clean sounding phase that can give you some crazy effects. For a sound sample of one of the Boss's wackier effects CLICK ME