Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Apr 17, 2002.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Could you guys recommend a good power amp that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I'm looking for something to give me a comfortable amount of head room and drive an Ampeg svt 410he, and an ampeg pr 115. What would be a good amp to effectively and loudly drive these speakers? I'm gonna be using an ampeg preamp. Thanks guys, peace.

Josh

2. yeah I second this question. I was thinking of going ampeg all-tube preamp with a poweramp.

3. QSC RMX850. 300 watts per ch @ 4 ohms. $299 at Musician's Friend.

... but if you want a little more comfortable headroom go with the RMX1450. 450 watts per ch @ 4 ohms. $399

4. for $359 you could buy Carvin's 1000W DCM1000.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you don't want to break the 500.00 bar, Carvin power amps are good value for the buck! Over 500.00 QSC's are great!

6. Jump on Lord Valve's mailing list. The price for the QSC amps is...oh.. considerably less. I'm not gonna post prices, since you have to call or email him directly, because he can't advertise those kinda prices.

Lord valve, NBS electronics

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which I have, and enjoy particularly.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  9. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Since it wasn't mentioned....I'll say it. Check out Ebay or some music shops for a good deal on a used quality poweramp. I have seen some nice Carvers, QSCs, Mackies, Ashlys, etc. pop up for some real good deals. You could get more watts for the $$$$$ and you may want/need that extra power down the road. A good amp is gonna last a long time so you might as well let someone else pay the depreciation.
    I've had my Ashly for almost 10 years and it is still going strong after some hefty abuse:eek:....just a thought.

10. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i have a QSC PLX 1602 ... i love it ... it seems to put out tremendous volume without even breaking a sweat ... it's only 21 lbs. (that was part of it's appeal to me) ... and i have heard people say that, "you gotta be carrying at least 40 to 50 lbs. for a good sounding power amp."

if you believe that, i guess it means mackie, or the qsc rmx series (both of which i have heard great things about ... but i've never used either of them).

i've also heard people say that "power amps that use 'switching power supplies' are tone killers."

the qsc plx 1602 is class AB if my memory serves me from the qsc website. however, as soon as you make the jump from the 1602 to the 2402, you get into the switching power supply mojo.

i dunno, i heard a guy playing a gig with a stewart 1-space power amp with a demeter preamp and it sounded pretty amazing to my ear ...

i think that if you have a decent bass, and a good preamp, you're probably set.

even the aguilar website says that their DB 659 (single space preamp) "will sound great with any power amp."

PS: one last point. i use an aguilar DB 680 preamp and it's amazing ... i used to have that mammoth aguilar all-tube power amp (which also was amazing) ... i will say that the sound is different with a tube vs. solid state power amp ... not better or worse ... different ... in some ways i prefer what i perceive as a "faster, more transient" attack with the qsc vs. an all-tube amp.

too much information! hope that helps.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Stewart World 1.2 and Peavey DPC1400 are both pretty powerful class D amps, and fit ino a single rack space. I think the Stewart runs about $750; don't know how much the Peavey is.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The list price is about $1400.00

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Carvin DCM1000, and like it. To me, power amps are about reliability - *all* power amps should have a similar lack of tone coloration.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Cool! :) I use one in my bass rig, too.

All PLX amps have switching power supplies. The "class" designations refer only to the output circuitry—the part that produces the power. The PLX 2402, 3002, and 3402 are class H, which is just a high-efficiency variation on class AB that involves an intermediate set of power supply rail voltages.

As you can tell, a lot of people know less than they pretend to. ;)

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Switching power supplies are one of the greatest innovations for power amps since the electron! And they are not a new thing-they have been with us for decades! Old tube-type car radios had a crude switching supply in them. It took the mosfet transistor to make them efficient and lightweight. And with digital control, they are the ultimate in power management. A properly designed switching supply should not affect tone. I use a qsc plx 1602 in my rig and it sounds great and never runs out of power! As far as output classes (A, B, AB, etc.) are concerned, the class does not represent the quality of the output stage, contrary to popular myth. It only tells you how the output devices are used in relation to the waveform. OK, I'll quit now!

16. Bob Lee,

Is there any particular advantage to a higher gain factor amp such as the MX-3000a (80x) compared to the PLX series with 40x gain factor?

My first thoughts on this would be the higher gain factor is useful only for preamps that cannot put out any more than 1 volt. My SWR preamp is capable of much more than 1.0 vrms output.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Bruce,

Yes, and that's about it for benefits. A gain of 80× is a lot, and so any hum and noise upstream will get amplified quite a bit. In addition to low-output MI preamps, you could also drive the amp to full power with, say, most consumer audio gear, like CD players and such.

Any pro audio gear—not necessarily MI—should be able to put out at least 7 or 8 volts RMS, and maybe even around 10 to 12 volts, before clipping. A pre that puts out like a piece of pro gear is a winner, in my opinion—as long as it sounds great. ;)

18. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    MY QSC PLX 1602 FRIGGIN' ROCKS MAN ('cause it does ... 'nuff said) ...

Mine too :D

19. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    kc...I don't think Bob was flaming you. I think he was simply clearing up or being more informative of you post. I think he's proud of his product and as a PLX owner I don't blame him.

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    QSC RMX2450. Got mine new for under $600 usd.
    Headroom? 2,400watts!!! Smoothed out my low end in a big way. Never gets pushed. I doubt I'll ever get a regular head again!