A good practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Jan 8, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I start college next fall, and I'll be about an hour away from the rest of my band. I'll leave all my gig gear with one of my guitarists or somthing, but I'd still like to have a small amp for my dorm. What would be your suggestion for a small, inexpensive practice amp. I've even considered a headphone amp, are those any good? Thanks and God Bless
  2. Flea21

Nov 17, 2004
    How many watts are you thinking of? If your thinking of a small 10-12 inch, (with like 15 watts) they sell Behringers that size if you like Behringer and want to stick with that. If you want a big but not too big amp, i have a nice BT50 Crate that makes me happy in my room. Its an 18 inch, not too loud so it seems fit for a dorm.
  3. Go with something like 50w 115 or something, that's what I used for the years before being in a band.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you got a PC and some ok speakers?

just get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I'm thinking somthing really small, like 15w or so. I might just go through my computer, but I'm starting to think more and more about a headphone amp.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    15w... I sold my Peavey Microbass cause it sat in a closet. Take the moneys and get a little tube Mic pre (Presonus, etc). I've got a cheap set of 2.1 computer speakers... the bass sounds fine.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    A used Peavey Micro Bass, they are chap and sound fantastic!
  9. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Fender Bassman 25 is probably the ultimate in practice amps for many reasons. Best of all, they are closing them out at Musician's Friend for $149. Also have a five-year warranty.
  10. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The Bassman 25 also has a headphone jack. I wouldn't recommend a headphone amp as your only practice device, because bass through cans can be very bad for your ears. The Bassman 25 would let you use cans for late night practice, but you can give your ears a break the rest of the time.
  11. SWR Workingman's 10. It's small but somewhat powerful (80 watts) and has a headphone jack. I also have the external 10 cabinet and have actually used the amp and cabinet on a small gig.
  12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Bassman 25 :bassist:
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I went to Sam Ash yesterday and tried 3 small amps.
    Ibanez 35W with 10" co-axial with tweeter: nice sound, more full range sounding than all the others. WEAK in terms of power. Fine as a practice amp, but forget about it with drums.

Fender 25 This little sucker has a 10" with no tweeter but is loud and punchy. A good option.

My favorite of all three was the Hartke A35. Louder than the Fender, had better upper mids and highs, and handled my B string without farting out (like the Fender did) The lows on the Hartke are IMPRESSIVE. Its $50 more but worth it to me. Congratulations to the Chargers for a much improved season!
  14. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    +1 on the Yorkville or try the Ashdown Perfect 10.
  15. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I owned one of these (briefly) it was a gift I didn't need. I gave it a shot.. it sounded pretty thin to me and didn't compare to the SWR workingmans 10 I was using (now moved to a baby blue). I think your practice amp should sound as good as your rig, I at least spend much much more time on my practice amp than on my rig, so.. it should at least sound good enough to inspire you to play. I'll sell ya the WM10 if yer looking ;)
  16. al_25401

Jan 9, 2005
    Whatever you get, TRY IT OUT!! Because if you dont and it sounds **** you'll look like an ass when you take it back and say "Uh, can i get a refund 'cause i didn't like the sound." I may not have the best stuff but remember don't get pressured into buying stuff cause other people reckon its sooo good. I bought a Jade Hurricane 100 instead of a Hartke B90 and Fender Rumble 'cause I liked the sound best. Keyword in that sentance was "I". It's just what you want.
  17. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I'll suggest this because no one will: the Vox 25 watt T-25. It's cheap (between $100 & $150), light (only 17 lbs) and has a great tone, well a Vox tone. They're usually not in the music shops; try the internet.