Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good Primus album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 7, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I'm a huge Rush fan, and I've been hearing alot lately about how Rush and Primus's music is so alike. I just want to know what's a really good album of their's that I should get. I've downloaded bits and pieces of Les's stuff, but I haven't really sat down and listened to them.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Anything is good. My personal favorites are The Brown Album, Frizzle Fry, and Sailing the Seas of Cheese. I'd recommend downloading 2 or 3 songs from each album to see what you like best.

3. Those are my favorites too....

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pork Soda and Sailing the Seas of Cheese are my faves....plus they bring back so much nostalgia from my high school years.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't see any real similarities between primus and rush. I know they did a tour together. Other than being very bass-forward musically, that's about it.

Sailing the Seas of Cheese is pretty solid.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Any, they are all good! Frizzle fry to Antipop.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Primus and Rush are not alike. However, I did see Les Claypool in the audience at a King Crimson show at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco. He must have prog rock tendencies....or just dig Levin.

8. les covers a KC song on live frogs set one.
    all primus albums are good. i really like pork soda.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have most of Primus albums but the only one that have remained more on my "personal airtime" is FRIZZLE FRY

10. well, ya gotta good start, i'd say sail the seas of CHEEEEEEESE! Tommy the Cat and Sgt Baker are the kill! Fish on!

Frizzle Fry is great too. That song is almost epic.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So "Suck on this" sucks? ;)

Don't start out with The Brown Album... the odd production method (aka weird ass tone) throws some people off. I'd recommend starting with Frizzle Fry, even though I started with Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Either of those would be good I'd say.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Forgot that one. It sucks, but like Primus sucks.