A Good Rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FooBass, Jun 24, 2005.

1. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    I am looking for a good reliable bass amp. Ive been thru a few and they have all failed me in some way. I am looking for a warm yet punchy tone, out of a stable well built amp that will last me a while....I am willing to spend at least $500-600 on it...any suggestions?
  2. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    by the way i want it to have at least 100-200 watts.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You looking for just a head, a combo, or head with cab? What type of music do you play?
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

5. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    I think im gonna go with a combo
  6. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    I play alot of chili peppers stuff.
  7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Tech21 Landmark 120
  8. Quadzilla

Most combos blow, with a few exceptions. Somebody had a nice Nemesis 2x10 combo in the For Sale forum recently and I don;t think it sold. 250 watts, 35 hz (yes nice Low B territory, rare out of a 10" speaker), 47 lbs TOTAL weight! Aside from that an a couple of other combos, I'd go for separates. Benefits include:

1: Easier to haul two lighter pieces than 1 big

2: You can always upgrade one of the pieces, like if you just need more watts or if you want deeper tone (larger speaker), etc

3: If one piece breaks your not buying both pieces to replace

Avatarspeakers.com has deals for a 2x12 and Ashdown 300w head for about $600 shipped....
  9. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    well what would u reccomend if i went for the head and cabs instead of the combo, i just went for the combo cause they tend to have a little less power. cause i am gonna be using this for just jamming purposes and mostly in my house.
  10. Quadzilla

I gave you a pretty solid recommondation in my post above. Always best to buy too much rig rather than too little as you will soon find out!
  11. Take a look (at reviews, etc.) at Peavey's Nitrobass/Firebass amp heads. Nitrobass's can be had for 275-300 dollars - that's 450 watts of power into 2 ohms/300 watts into 2 ohms. This would leave you with 300 dollars for cabinets. You could get a very nice 2x12 4-ohm cabinet from Dave at Avatar and have a great rig that you could gig with as well later on. Should you ever need to add to your rig, a 2x10 4-ohm cabinet would let that head put out all 450 watts into the combined 2 ohm load.

All within your budget - great rig with a huge bang for your buck.

Take care,
  12. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    GK bassline 210

200w stand alone ....300w with another cab

sounds great!! :hyper:
  13. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    THANK YOU!!! :hyper: