Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Mar 27, 2001.

1. What ould be a good second bass. I dont want to spend to much.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Please be a little more vague.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...punk stuff huh? Well...whadda yah got now? I'd reccomend looking around and playing everything possible. Check out MIM Fender Jazz's (actually works well for punk), maybe some Schecters (SB-1, ect.) they're decent. It's all personal taste. Here's a list of stuff you might wanna check out:

-Fender, (can't go wrong with Fender)
    -Schecter, (why not?)
    -Yamaha (just because their not "cool" doesn't mean they're bad)
    -Peavy (Same as Yamaha)
    -Dean (good stuff)
    -Spector (low end stuff is OK)
    I-banez (ok, but try before you buy! huge variety in quality)

If that in any way helps. (though I don't suspect it did)....and one more () for good measure....

4. Under normal circumstances, a good bass and not spending much is a contradiction. I'm not sure what your idea of "not much" is but if you want what is by far the best deal going right now then buy a gloss black Spector NSCR 4 string for $699 or 5 string for $799 from www.musiciansfriend.com.
    These prices ar half what they normally sell for and play and sound as well as basses that sell for $2000 and up. Other than that there is nothing worth mentioning.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I play punk/ska.

For my punk riffs I keep it basic, but sometimes complicate measures. (just so you get a sleight idea of how I play)

I played with tons of highs a few years ago, that's when I came across the Danelectro Longhorn, funny looking thing, but has killer tone.

Now that I started playing more ska, I like the lower more mellow tone stuff, and I got my #1 bass (out of all the ones I've ever tried/had) I play it with flats... It's a Danelectro Hodad bass. It can atleast mock next to any sound you want, if you like the Stingray type sound, you just put your bridge pickup on, and pick from around your bridge.

REALLY good bass to own, really universal.
    I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, although I may consider moving it down in the line (hehe, maybe #2. I'm gonna get another soon) As far as price goes? It's like $300 I think, actually... wait... maybe $400. Either way it's not like "Hey, instead of the car, I'm getting a bass" yah know?

Hope that helps.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hate to tell you this, but I believe that the Hodad may be discontinued.

Musician's Friend blew them out for $99.00 a couple of weeks ago.

Might find a NOS in a Guitar Center though.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hhhmmm, when i think of versatility, somehow, a Danelectro doesn't come to mind.

BTW, the bridge pickup sounds absolutely nothing like a stringray!

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, YESSS, you can indeed! :(

The good tip is the usual tip: try as many as you can, buy the one that's good enough...:)

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    What is your other bass? What is your budget? What music do you play? What amp do you use?

Without knowing these things I recommend you get a barrel, a broom, a thick cord... and make a bass.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    On the Hodad it's quite close to the bridge, I can get a Stingray type "In your face" sound. for a low stingray "in your face" sound you just put it on pickup selecter control 1, (which is your bridge and neck pickup) It works quite well if you're picking from the bridge pickup. Or if you just want the high sounding "in your face" sound you just put the bridge pickup on.

The hodad is a VERY versatile bass. It has 3 pickups, a tone control, volume, and a blow switch.

I guess you're just not a fan of them, it's weird with danelectro, either you like 'em a lot or you don't at all... never met someone who was passive about them.

I still stick in suggesting the hodad.