A good simple compressor under $100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm looking for a good simple compressor under $100.

So far I've found the Alesis 3630 for $99. I've read here that they are not that good.

All I want is a compressor that I can manually control. A simple unit...does not need to be a rack mount version, but I don't want one that is noisy. Just a compressor that I can get a tight, controlled sound from. But I do not want to spend more than $100.

Any suggestions?
  2. Well, there's pedal compressors, like the Boss CS-2 Compression/sustainer for $69, the DOD Milkbox for $49, The Danelectro Surf-n-turf for $29, the Guyatone BL-2 for $69, the MXR Supercomp for $69 and the Digitech Bass Squeeze for $79.

For rack compressors, there's the Behringer Autocom for $89, NADY CL5000 for $99, the Presonus Comp 16 for $99, and the Behringer Composer Pro for $119.

Most people on this board either use a rack dbx166 for $199 or go with a Keeley compressor (pedal) for $219.

I use a JoeMeek Mc2 MicroComp $189.
  3. I've used a couple of multi-FX things, one was an older DOD something-something that I paid about $50 for used. the other thing was an Alesis micro-mumble (sorry I cant remember names) that I paid $35 for or something. It was the original version (16 bit) of the nanowhatever they sell now. They werre both adequate. I also had an Ibanez soundtank compressor pedal. That worked ok too. I think they still sell a version of that. IIRC it was about $45 new.

Hope this helps. If I were you I'd save up some more cash and go for one of the better units mentioned above.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    For pedal compressors, there's the tech21 bass compactor. It retails for just under $100
  6. Yep, probably the easiest compressor out there. One slider. They work and sound great.
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Take a look at the Rolls/Bellari LA-120. Its a simple, single channel, tube compressor. You can find them used for $ 100 and under.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Take a look at the ART LeVeLAr. About $80 new, and very easy to use...
  9. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a few. Compressors are fun.

The Danelectro Surf & Turf for cheap (less than $30). Fun for a little piece of plastic cr&#. VERY noisy. Not a real compressor, but interesting. Picks up many local AM stations as an added bonus!

ART Levelar. Very nice for the price. Transparent, smooth, musical. Not a stomp box, not rack mount; just a little box. Dead quiet. Less than $80 on the bay. My second favorite.

Carl Martin Compressor Limiter. Versital, very sensitive (too sensitive), kind of noisy. Not cheap (>$150). I'll sell you mine for $130.

AND MY NEW FAVORITE! TOADWORKS MR SQUISHY! Just great. Transparent, smooth, punchy. It has a pre-gain, a compression and a post level, true by-pass, quiet quiet quiet, VERY musical. (The gain is a great feature that many stomp box compressors don't have.) I paid $124. (Yes, I know it's over your $100 limit) Effects for less is a dealer. They were great to work with.

The Aphex Punch Factory is gettin a lot of buzz. I need to try one out. $139.

Good Luck
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If you can find one used.
    Trace Elliot SMX compressor.
    Made for bass, they sound great
    about $150.00 used.
    They don't make them anymore.
  11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Here's another vote for the ART Levelar. I paid $50 for mine a few years ago.
  12. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I have a Trace smx comp and it's great at what it does - I don't compress my signal so it just sits. I'll sell mine if anyone's looking for one.
  13. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota

Another vote for the DBX 163x. I got mine for $35 on eBay and I love it.
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Aphex Punch Factory looks interesting.

Since I don't have a rack, the box looks like something I can set next to my amp (I don't use effects other than a compressor).

I'm willing to spend a little more than $100 if I find the right one. Most stomp boxes are noisy, which is why I was looking at rack units...but anything that is relatively noise free and cheap will work for me.

Thanks for the replies.
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, if you're looking over $100 then you can get an EBS MultiComp used for round $120-$130 used. Great pedal, very transparent and not noisy.

The Punch Factory is supposedly excellent also, but I haven't tried it.
  16. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx

RNC gets a lot of praise. Lord Valve likes it, too. Under $200 new. They occ. come up on Ebay.
  17. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    If your willing to spend more than $100. IMO the RNC is the best bet for your money at a shipped price of $175 very hard to beat.
  18. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I'll sell my smx dual compressor for $90.00 shipped. It's in great condition but is missing a plastic battery lead cap (5 cent part) that effects nothing. Am i breaking any forum rules by offering it in this thread?