A good sized rig for church

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 1, 2001.

1. I bought a Carvin rig to use at church a while back and now I'm wondering if it is really too much. It's a 2x10, 1x15 and a 600 watt head. The church seats about 800 people. Currently everybody else goes through the PA except me. Does it make more sense to have a smaller rig for a stage monitor and go through the PA. Or continue like I am now by just cranking it up. Here's a problem I am experiencing. If I turn my rig up loud enough to heard well through the mix it is incredibly loud on stage. It causes me to back off a little because I feel like I'm way too loud.

What do you guys play through?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Why not just use the head and the 210 and save the 15 for the spring fling?

You could put it on an amp stand and project it up in your face. You'd get plenty of volume, help the house mix significantly and still get to keep your rig in tact if and when you want the big dog.

IMHO, you are doing everyone a seriously super huge favor by by giving some control of your house level at the board.

To answer your last question, I play through a Bass POD pro, use the monitors and leave my amp at home.
  3. I play at a large church (2900 seating) and run direct to the board. Recently purchased Shure E5, in the ear monitors are how I hear. I'd prefer a small stage rig serving as stage monitor but excessive concern over stage volume (many volume complainers in a church) have ruled out that option. When we do have a guitarist, they somehow are allowed to have stage amp but are still miked. Seems like your situation requires your level to be unbalanced with respect to other stage players. You may need to adapt.
  4. Thats what I was thinking. Our sound guys don't say much so I don't ever know what they want from me. I'll try that next time we practice and see how it goes.
  5. Here is another question. Say I just go direct to the board. Do you guys have your own monitor with nothing but bass comming through?

I would really like to set it up this way. To be honest I wouldn't mind selling my big rig if I can get by without needing it. I used to be in a band that played some alternative Christian stuff where I needed high volumn but now it just seems like overkill.

What all do I need to go direct and be able to hear myself clearly?

I kind of dumb in this area so you guys help me out.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    In a church, I would think I'd have a small-ish rig for a monitor. I'd assume there is a PA. I wouldn't want to blow the place away.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I would keep using the same rig for monitoring -- or some smaller version of it (amp and 2X10) -- lower the volume on stage and run a line to the board.

That's what I do in the church I play (seats about 600)
  8. In my situation all the stage players, including vocalists ( 4 to 7 singers plus choir, if there is one that day) have their signal going to separate channels in a stage monitor board and then a snake cable sends everyone's signal out to the main house board for him to mix. I just use a direct box, can't even tell you the brand. We direct the monitor man to give us in our headphones what we need be it bass, guitar, piano, keyboard, organ, bass drum, snare, and vocals. At its best, it can turn out to be your own personal mix and not sound too bad. At its worst I deal with hum, poor EQ, volume variations from sound check to beginning of service - general inconsistancy. As I mentioned, I'd prefer a good, small stage monitor and no headphones. I'm just more use to that sound with my dance band.
  9. At my church I play through my SVT-3PRO into a 4x10 and run the DI to the board. The accoustic guitar and keyboard go direct to the board. We have an electric player who's pretty much pointless (little combo amp, no signal to the PA, and his tone is horrible). Our drimmer is not miked, but he desperately needs to be. But they're going to buy an electric set at the first of the new budjet year.

I think the attitude is that bass and drums are automatically loud, so they don't need to turn up. But our mis is bad. The keys and vocals are the thrust of the sound. The guitar is pretty clear, but the drums are TOO quiet for such a large room, and they NEVER turn me up. Eventually, I figure, they'll get the idea and realize that it's not very loud, and that loud isn't nessasarilly a bad thing. I mean, the piano and choir in the morning service are louder, sheesh.
  10. I play for our church also. Seats about 800. I use a 60 watt Fender with a 12 inch speaker and have a Direct Box from that to the PA. Our PA has 2 EV 18 inch subwoofers so it can carry the bass very well. I have the amp pointing at me (and the drummer) for a monitor and depend on the sound guys to set my level in the mix.
  11. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    At my church that seats 800, I go direct via a Bass Pod through the PA, and use a 200W combo amp as a monitor on top of headphone fall-backs. Works fine for me.
  12. I have played in church for over 5 years I would say just get a cab or combo to moniter your sound and a decent di, mic or whatever you prefer. Although I find churches tend to send 50 million instruments through the system at once. Making it so either you can't hear specific instruments or it sounds muddy on the most part. This is where a good signal to the PA is important. On the other hand if you dont run through the system it makes it very tough and I usually find you just can't be heard cause the sound guy always says "turn the bass down"

unfortunately let the sound guy be in control but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if you have a gerat soundman and not a church volunteer :)

Sorry if I seemed to make a generalization here this is just usually what I find with few exceptions.
  13. I would downsize the rig, run through the board, and trust that the sound-guy is conscious.

My soundman (when we have one), is pretty bad, but we have too many complainers for me to worry about. I use my rig, on low volume, as my stage monitor.

14. I usually turn down when we're re-patching and checking levels, then turn back up once the other instruments start. The sound guys always (and particularly the music leader) want me to turn down, until we have the full mix, then they realize I'm too low. They don't want to give me a monitor either (just a hot spot behind the drums, which is NOT pointed at me), so I don't know what the mix actually sounds like. I can tell you that the drums and bass sound bad, since there's no mics on the drums, for some dumb reason.
  16. I play in a church that seats ~800. I use 2 Acme Low B-2 (2x10", 1 5", 1 dome tweeter per cab)cabinets on an amp stand tilted towards me. I also run a DI thru the board. My house sound is a mix of the stage and the PA. My rig sounds much better than the subs we are currently using, so the blend works well. Plus, our sound techs need work...

We are moving into a much larger building, so the house sound will be less influenced by the stage. At that point, I'll probably only use 1 one the cabinets.

17. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I use a 220w head and 4x10 in a 400 seater (maybe more they ripped out the pews and bought nice plush seats). The drummer and I are 'too loud' to go through the PA which means that you can hear them. We just turn up anyway. The band leader is considering glass screens for the drums and a much bigger desk. However as stated it all relys on the sound desk attendant. As much as I 'dislike' sound engineers in general (with reason) theirs is a poor job when they get paid. So anyone that does it for free is mad for starters. (sorry Spacegoat-if you are reading)