Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Good Sounding Squier (Believe It Or Not)....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scatman, Apr 5, 2004.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    I saw someone with a very wonderful-sounding Squier 5-string P bass. The cat made that thing sing. He had it plugged into a Peavey 2x10 Combo Amp. It all goes to show you that it's 90% musician, 10% instrument.

All this Squier-hatin' going on! :p Oh, I'm not only the President of the Squier-hating club, but I'm a Squier-hatin' client as well. :p

2. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Sorry about that, guys. Can you move this thread to the bass section? Thanks.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Reminds me of a guitar player I met recently. He plays Squiers and went on about why anyone would pay so much money for a fancy guitar or even a real Fender. He said he'll take 5 or more squiers for that price...play each one until its trashed and move on...This was a guy with years and years of experience too, not a 14 year old newbie.

4. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I have a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass for over a month now. For money they're seling it, it is a STEAL. Just replace tuners and pickups and you will get a very, very good bass. There is absolutely no fret buzz, neck is temperature/humidity change-stable (as long as we don't talk about extremes). I would definitely recommend it to players on budget, even without replacing pickups and tuners.

5. I thought so too, until I picked up a new Yamaha RBX 774 (yes, the 774 with a list price of $900) for $250. It's at MF on clearance, and I got GC to price match. When I was trying it, I picked up ther $250 basses and there was no comparison... Unless you REALLY need the Jazz bass look, while that sale lasts i don't see buying a squier.

6. Billy was a great sounding Squier! :D

Don't Say No is one of the best albums EVER!!!!

7. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    The RBX77x is on clearance?!?! YES!!!

I must go in to GC.... how much longer will it be on sale? I have the 760, and i want a 5 string.... and another yamaha would be perfect. the only concern i have it the lack of EQ... is it still versatile? i know you can switch active/passive...

8. You may need the MF printout to get GC to match it (if it's still there). it's a MF sale; GC has the clearance price set at ~ $400. but since they're affiliated companies, they agreed to match the price.

Last i checked, MF even had the RBX 775 (5 string) on clearance for an extra $40 or so....