1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Good Sounding Squier (Believe It Or Not)....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scatman, Apr 5, 2004.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    I saw someone with a very wonderful-sounding Squier 5-string P bass. The cat made that thing sing. He had it plugged into a Peavey 2x10 Combo Amp. It all goes to show you that it's 90% musician, 10% instrument.

All this Squier-hatin' going on! :p Oh, I'm not only the President of the Squier-hating club, but I'm a Squier-hatin' client as well. :p

2. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Sorry about that, guys. Can you move this thread to the bass section? Thanks.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Reminds me of a guitar player I met recently. He plays Squiers and went on about why anyone would pay so much money for a fancy guitar or even a real Fender. He said he'll take 5 or more squiers for that price...play each one until its trashed and move on...This was a guy with years and years of experience too, not a 14 year old newbie.

4. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I have a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass for over a month now. For money they're seling it, it is a STEAL. Just replace tuners and pickups and you will get a very, very good bass. There is absolutely no fret buzz, neck is temperature/humidity change-stable (as long as we don't talk about extremes). I would definitely recommend it to players on budget, even without replacing pickups and tuners.

5. I thought so too, until I picked up a new Yamaha RBX 774 (yes, the 774 with a list price of $900) for $250. It's at MF on clearance, and I got GC to price match. When I was trying it, I picked up ther $250 basses and there was no comparison... Unless you REALLY need the Jazz bass look, while that sale lasts i don't see buying a squier.

6. Billy was a great sounding Squier! :D

Don't Say No is one of the best albums EVER!!!!

7. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    The RBX77x is on clearance?!?! YES!!!

I must go in to GC.... how much longer will it be on sale? I have the 760, and i want a 5 string.... and another yamaha would be perfect. the only concern i have it the lack of EQ... is it still versatile? i know you can switch active/passive...

8. You may need the MF printout to get GC to match it (if it's still there). it's a MF sale; GC has the clearance price set at ~ $400. but since they're affiliated companies, they agreed to match the price.

Last i checked, MF even had the RBX 775 (5 string) on clearance for an extra $40 or so....