1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good stool cushion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bopeuph, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I got a nice, cheap wooden stool at Target a few months back. Problem is, there's no cushion. My rear is KILLING me after about 20 minutes of playing, let alone four hours. Even most bar stools that have a decent cushion start hurting after a while. But, I'm wondering what most TBers use for themselves.

Nick

2. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    When I used to sit I bought a stool from Target, and they sold cushions for them there as well.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A student of mine went through this recently. Here's what she came up with.

4. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Sad thing, I went to Wal-Mart, where they sell the same stool, Jo-Ann Fabrics, and a few other places where I was the only straight guy around, and I came up with nothing. I bought a square cushion from Wal-Mart for $5 to hold me over. When I bought the stool at Target, I couldn't find a cushion at that time there, either.

Thanks for that link, Chris. I wish it was in a store around here; the shipping is going to cost the same amount as the piece. But it's worth no more pains in the @$$.

Nick

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nick - go ahead and buy two. It'll be more cost efficient for one thing, but I've discovered over the years that the stool is even more comfortable still with two cushions on at once. They'll want to fall off, but if you use a couple of those ironing board tightening straps underneath, they'll be solid as a rock and twice as comfortable. Which in the end amounts to one less excuse I have for climbing up on the stool and practicing. Also makes long gigs a lot more bearable. As always, YBMV. :D

6. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This isn't simply a cushion but I totally love my "Roc -N- Soc" stool. It's extemely comfortable and has rungs in a good place for your feet. I think I got the tallest one. Works great for upright bass.

http://www.rocnsoc.com/towerseats.html

7. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi Nick ( and hey Bobby), I can make a recommendation; buy yourself a memory foam pillow (usually around 20-25$). That will solve the fundamental problem, now you have to figure out a way to keep it in place- which i have not done, I just reposition it maually when needed. The memory foam is pretty durable and will take a lot of weight. I am what you might call....uh, husky, so I know.
    All best
    Jon

8. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    +1 on the memory foam. I got a 2" x 14" circle of this foam at a mills store. I made a cover with some durable black material and elastic from a fabric store then stuggled with my sewing machine until it looked OK.

It's a real butt-saver and I can enjoy the last movements of a symphony now instead of praying for it to end!