1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A good sturdy stand for a wide necked 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAcsSNAcs, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I just got myself a Ken Smith BT6 and need a good stand for it.

I currently have an older Quik Lok stand, much like this:

QL-694.

The one pictured is similar to mine. Away, the width of the bottom supports lines up perfectly with the output jack on my bass, so it's not a good fit.

I'm looking for a single stand, and Hercules seem like the best ones going, but the neck is 54mm at the nut, so too maybe wide for the Herc's.

Any advice? I'd prefer a tripod, but the Quik Lok style above, while it is an A-frame, it has the upper neck support as well, with a horizontal piece that keeps the bass from simply falling forward out of it.

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    jd56hawk likes this.
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I use/like the Ultimate stands. They are tripod sturdy and stable, fold into nothing (I have a cutout I put in the bass hard case for it) and are very nice. They are the hang by the headstock type and the V shaped hanger is wide enough at the mouth for the neck of my 6 string Ken Smith. Not cheap, and these days seem hard to find. I think Hercules makes a similar stand but with an auto-locking headstock hanger. Similar price too.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  3. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Thanks bassbenj. Are you talking about the The GS-1000 Pro? It looks nice, but I can't tell if it's wide enough at the top. They only show a Fender bass in one, and they have much narrower necks. If you have a Ken Smith 6 string, it should be 54mm at the nut. Yours would be the "non-locking" hanger, correct?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Still looking for a stand... Anyone have any suggestions?

5. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    I've been told that both Hercules and Ultimate are out of the picture now.

Someone must make a stand for wide necked basses... the question is who?

6. Get a stand in this style. My band shares the bigger fender one. Works great. Even held the 7 string I had.
    F2B564D0-A846-4A0C-B075-6B24F49DD4BF.

TolerancEJ and Bob_Ross like this.
  7. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Thanks for the idea, but not really the kind of thing I want to cart around or take up stage space with. Just really want a single stand .

8. The Warwick Rock Stand has been my go to for many years. I recently picked up a much more expensive Kauer rack because my current room lacks floor space and I needed a double decker.

9. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    ...but which Warwick Rock Stand? Every stand they sell is called Rock Stand ;) I'm only looking for a single stand for 1 bass.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Isn't the Hercules AGS 56mm wide at the support grip? ne9vdj.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    What do you mean by "out of the picture" - no longer available?

I use an Ultimate GS-100 for my Modulus Q6, 2.00"/51mm nut, fits easily. I'm sure it'd work for your Smith at 54mm.

I'll measure the yoke later this evening and post back.

Looks like the yoke on the GS-1000 is a bit fancier (and thicker), so I don't know for sure if it would work.

BTW, I've actually got 6 GS-100 stands, one for each bass or guitar I own. So yes, I do like them. Quite secure, they look nice, they fold down to nothing, and they don't have to be disassembled in any way to fold up - no separate cradle, etc.

12. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Thanks. BruceWane... I look forward to your measurements ;) I'll have to see if I can find one in Canada. Long & McQuade doesn't sell that model.

13. I've been using the Ultimate GS-100 stands for several years for my Fishbone 6-string. The neck width at the nut on my bass is 2-3/16" (55.56mm). It's a $4,000 bass ... I won't put it on just anything. The Ultimate works fine, and is very secure.

14. I'll have to measure the width of my 6 string Brice Defiant 63437, but I've been using the K&M Double Guitar Stand for a few years and find it the best stand I have ever used. It is a 2 bass stand however it takes very little space, is very stable and causes no interference with anything.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/km-double-guitar-stand

Todd

15. MAcsSNAcs

MAcsSNAcs

Jul 26, 2016
    Thanks for all your help! This is the best place! :)

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    oops! Sorry. Missed that questions. Answer is yes it is 54mm at the nut and I did take the stand and try the KS on it before I posted to be sure what I said about fitting was correct. And mine is the non-autolockling. It has a "lock" but it's a rubber tab that snaps between the two forks to keep the bass neck in place. I don't use it much but it is safer for the bass if it might get bumped or something.

17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    you were misinformed... any of Hercules Stands products, the hanger stands or the wall hangers, which has auto yoke mechanism, can accept any 54 mm wide at nut 6 string bass guitar just fine.

IMG_20160224_010013_zpsmz3gk0ec.

The same auto yoke hanger mechanism on a single guitar and a double guitar hanger stands:

IMG_20151209_001832_zpstdp9ivkn. 0ec3a518-c7e4-48e8-8ccf-31335f3dd131_zpsjs0sq0yh.

They even have auto yoke hanger mechanism which is wide enough to hold 63 mm at nut 7 string bass:

IMG_20160912_190451.
    IMG_20160912_190614_zpsspxvcrq7.

the same auto flap hanger mechanism which can hold 7 string bass neck on a guitar stand:

gs455b_1_hr_zpspqzzwixt.

jd56hawk likes this.
  18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Thread drift: Gorgeous bass! Is that a Curbow, or a "Cort by Curbow"?

19. briandavismurph

briandavismurph Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I've had good luck with these from GC Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 8.23.12 PM.