1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Good Synth Bass Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by musicman5string, Apr 29, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Hey-
    Can anyone recommend a good synth bass simulator pedal? Something that gives a fat keyboard like tone?
    Thanks.

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Korg G5!!! Killer tracking and sounds!!!
    There 2 drawbacks somehow:
    - it takes a lot of space on your board.
    - the Bypass sound is crappy. I'd suggest a loooper for bypass.

Other people prefer the Akai Deep Impact.
    It has got a true bypass and it is much smaller. But it sounds way less fat and the tracking is slightly slower!!

Both units are out of production and tend to be rather pricey on 'bay...

3. a good cheap one is the digitech synthwah...i can get some cool sounds out of that one :)

4. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

yeah, but that's not really the tones I had in mind; less wah and sweeps and more like just a straight keyboard bass tone; maybe something like a moog sound?

5. aha...then you might want to check out the vbass then :)

6. i think one of the moog pedals might be best if you can afford them...expensive but theyre amazing....well from the samples ive heard they are, i wouldnt know! hehe :bawl:

7. The Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth is the most analog sounding synth pedal to my ear. Very Moog and Arp and definitely old school sounding. I use mine mainly for recording and have opted to use an Akai Deep Impact for live stuff. The MoogerFooger pedals are awesome as well but you will need several modules to get all the sound possibilities that are on the EHX BMS.
    Hey Moderators, Shouldn't this topic be a FAQ or Sticky?

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I have both G5 and DI and Akai dominates G5 in FAT department. To my ears of course.
    Check here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2717337&postcount=85

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I LOVE my ME-8B for synth sounds. Lots of sounds, tracks very well.

I also love my G5. :smug:

10. Their is allways the digi tech bass snyth wah which I currently own.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Pure speculation, but I'll bet that Line 6 is going to come out with a bass synth pedal using the synth setting in the Low Down series of combos. IMHO, it tracks very well.

Depending on what you play, just get a synth like the Alesis ION or Micron.

12. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy Guest

Jul 30, 2004
    Octaver and a bit of fuzz works well for me..

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd agree here, I've used / owned the G5 / Deep Impact and many others.
    Using the divided pickup with the vbass, the tracking is amazing. The sounds probably aren't quite as good on the G5 or DI, but IMO the tracking makes up for it.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think the Deep Impact sounds great. Getting rid of mine soon because I find that a keyboard just does it better than any pedal out there. I'd much rather drop the price of a synth pedal on a real synth and play that.