A good valve (tube) amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zecabass84, Dec 31, 2004.

1. I'm would like to build a bass valve amp for me, to use with the P-Bass.

But the question is... what kind of components should I use?
    What are the best valves, circuit, configuration, etc?

I'm plannin to use a PTP (Point to point) circuit but don't know exactly what valves i should use. A friend build an amp with a Giannini Bulldog Bass (Brazillian '70s mark, wich used to copy Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Rickenbacker, etc...) circuit with 6550 valves, and it sound is very good!!

Anyway, I want a bass amp the sounds like John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Mel Schacher...
    Play also some Jethro Tull, Ten Years After..
    Damn... I want a sound of 60s-70s rock and roll bands.

Any suggestions??
  2. Build an Ampeg SVT...............4x6550

JJ ;)
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the guy to ask is PsychoBassGuy, but..........
    from what i understand you won't save money building your own. Years ago, bass amps were made with components that were available at the time. Just turns out that that this sounded really good. Today the components that were once plentiful really arent used in anything else so they tend to be very expensive. A company making tube amps will probably be able to get a discount on things like traqnsformers, where an individual won't. all tube guitar amps can cost 2000-3000 dollars today, especially if they are mad the way they were 25 years ago. PBG assures me that it would cost around 5000 to make an SVT the way they were made in the early 70's.
  4. I try to follow a lot of hifi geek stuff. The big thing is chinese hi-fi classic tube amp designs, some single-ended. Maybe there is a company that can sell you the transformers and stuff at a reasonable price. So I would research the hi fi tube DIY sights for schematics and parts.
  5. +1

You're looking at at least $300 US for a Plitron output transformer alone, and around that much for the power transformer alone. Wanna duplicate the SVT setup, the prices go even higher. A quality steel chassis can set you back $100 or more. So you're spending $700 on three components alone-maybe more since I haven't priced transformers lately...

Building a small tube amp is great as an educational experience or if you're doing it for a hobby or personal pride, but you won't save money building a high-powered tube amp.
  6. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    All are accurate answers but what I'm wondering is this: If you are asking this question in the first place then you probably aren't going to be able to pull it off. Much less for what you may think is at a reasonable cost. No offense...

You may be better served finding a good used Bassman SF amp and re-work the tone stack to suit your tastes.

Another less expensive route would be to find a Sovtek mig 50 or 100 (I believe they even offered a bass amp) and do the same mods.

Still another route is to pick up an old Gibson Thor amp. By doing one of these steps you are buying the chassis, OT and PT used and saving the overall time for R&D.

Unfortunately there aren't any Bass amp kits available from companies like Mission Amps or Allen that I'm aware of but if they get bugged enough from bass players it may become economically feasable for them to start to offer one or two.

You may want to try posting your question over on ampage at www.firebottle.com and see if anyone offers to step up.