Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good volume pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Jun 28, 2002.

1. I ran a quick search and i didn't see anything about volume pedals. Recently I've been interested in a pedal that could raise my volume in certain parts of songs but without distorting the bass. I tryed to use my guitarist's Boss distortion pedal where I cut the tone and distortion but raised the level but it gives an awful sound. I realize that this pedal is probably not supposed to be used like that but it was worth a try. Anyway, is there any good volume pedals out there that won't distort? (i didn't research on volume pedals so i am in the dark.) Thanks in advance.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Dunlop and Morley.

I've never tried either on bass, but both of these pedals are great on guitar. Try the Little Alligator volume pedal by Morley first. It has a few more features that I feel are worth the price (IF it sounds good on bass).

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    erm...methinks that volume pedals do the same thing as your vol. knob does. they are used for swells (slowly going from down to up in volume).

what you want is a clean boost.

fulltone and zvex jump out at me at the moment. there are a couple more. most clean boosts are by the guys who hand-build their effects (fulltone, zvex, et all), so they aren't cheap.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Boss ODB3 works as a nice clean signal boost.

I use to use it for distortion, but then when I realized it made my bass sound like crap (after about 2 seconds), I started finding other uses for it such as a clean boost, a two band EQ, and an on off switch.

Peace
    Nick

5. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ernie Ball. Quiet, uncolored sound, built to last.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    But, as others have pointed out, you probably want clean boost...

7. Try putting your volume knob at about 75%, and when you need a little more volume, crank it all the way. The best part about this method is that it's free!:D

8. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    In the past I have used just use a graphic eq pedal for boosts. Lately I've been using just the volume knob for boosts. But that means you have to adjust your bass volume for lower levels during "normal" paly. This may not be acceptable to some as many people like to send a "loud" signal from the bass.

As with Fulltone and Zvex, Frantone makes a clean boost as well, only theirs is bass specific- the Thunderhead Bass Booster. I've had no hands on experience with it but it looks cool and Frantone makes quality pedals. I've seen them new for around $100 - seems to be a good deal, especially for a bootique pedal.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    The Boss ODB3 works as a nice clean signal boost.

but it is a HUGE tone-sucker. totally saps the mids.

As with Fulltone and Zvex, Frantone makes a clean boost as well, only theirs is bass specific- the Thunderhead Bass Booster. I've had no hands on experience with it but it looks cool and Frantone makes quality pedals. I've seen them new for around $100 - seems to be a good deal, especially for a bootique pedal.

had no idea that frantone made a clean boost for bass! $100 is less than what you'd pay for a new fulltone or zvex boost.

there is also the mxr micro amp. it's cheaper and mass-produced...(and not true bypass).

as far as volume pedals go, i'm planning on getting george dennis' volume/chorus. of course, i will use the pedal for swells. (supposedly the chorus is comparable to ebs, tc electronics, boss ce-1, et all).

10. That is a very hard thing to do while your playing and you don't have the moment to free a hand and mess with the volume. ;) Thanks for info everyone.

11. Why not? Are you playing steady 32nds at like 250 bpm? It doesn't take much time to turn a knob less then a cm.

Or try using technique to make the sound more aggresive. Turn the volume up, and play softer at the normal times, and when you need more volume, play harder. Reggae bassists do it ALL the time, I use it somewhat all the time, just not to the extent that they do.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    8th notes at 120 bpm are enough to make such an operation difficult, unless there's a convenient rest somewhere.