A good week....and a happy new Genz Benz user

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Megazap63, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi all, thought I'd post this to share some unexpected strokes of good fortune I had this week.

Firstly, on a recommendation, got a call out of the blue and offered gigs with a SE London Soul/Funk band. Good musicians, cool people and quite a bit of work coming up...great start to the week!

Then after realising the Ibanez Promethean Combo I was previously using for (mostly jazz) gigs wasn't going to cut it with a 7-piece band, I dropped some cash on a Genz Benz 4x10 Focus cab. When it arrived I eagerly hooked up the Promethean head and....got a thin, crackling distorted sound and the mute switch operating in reverse.

Having read a lot of TB posts on problems that seem to develop with the Promethean - but not wanting to pull it apart and try fix it myself - I took it down to an amp repair guy in Denmark Street to sort things out. While there, he asked if I needed a backup rig and proceeded to take out a GB Shuttle 6.0. He'd had it for a couple of years - bought off a guy who picked it in the US six months before selling it on for whatever reason. Anyway, it was virtually brand new, albeit now superceded.

I plugged it in to an old Peavey cab and it sounded awesome, very different to the Promethean (which I also love). After some haggling the dude let me have it (with case) for under £200 - bargain, since there's still quite a few about in similar condition for around twice what I paid.

To finish off, I started work with new band and rig on Friday and Saturday, and both sounded great....the 5 string punched, the fretless sang, I only played one or two bum notes, the venues were cool, blah, blah, blah...and I now understand all the love for Genz Benz here on TB!

Sigh...if all weeks were this good....

2. Cool. Who's the band?

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Genz-Benz makes great products, and is 2nd to none when it comes to taking care of their customers... If I didn't love the Mesa sound as much as I do, I'd probably be playing Genz-Benz... I've owned a couple of their amps, and they were very good - I'll probably own another in the future...

Sounds to me like you made a good move, OP - congrats, and Happy NAD...

- georgestrings

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nice score!

5. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Soul Connexion, a bunch of London-based guys who've played around the South for a while under various guises. I'll put up a link once they get they're website sorted out.

6. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks, I'm pretty stoked with it!!

7. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Again, many thanks! :)

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    It is a great time to be a bass player

ForumRunner_20120613_130012.png

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021