Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Great Box Set -> METAL Inside

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 6, 2003.

1. So i dont usually buy box sets as I already own most the albums of whichever band has the box set.

But I just got the Metal Blade 20th Anniversary Box Set - 9 cd's and a DVD. It's killer. A lot of bands I had forgotten about (some for good reason, heh) and tons of great bands, their beginnings, and etc. Comes with a great book too, loaded with interviews, pics, history, etc.

Recommended!

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Metal Blade. Well, their collection would just have to be authoritative. Afterall, metal journalism is their bread and butter. I can imagine that the box set would be a must have for anyone with an interest in having a thorough overview of the genre. You could learn a lot.

Just out of curiosity, do they have any current bands included and, if so, who would they be? I mean are bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Creed and others there? Also, do they mention in their booklet what bands they predict will be the Next Big Thing?

3. Nope, none of those types of bands. They still distribute some of the older bands who are still playing. And some newer bands too. Some of the recent releases from 2001/2002 include:

God Dethroned
    Flotsam and Jetsam
    Six Feet Under
    Manowar
    Kings X
    GWAR (of course)
    Savatage
    Spock's Beard
    Cannibal Corpse
    Bolt Thrower
    Riot
    King Diamond
    Chinchilla

and the list goes on. nothing in the book about "who will be the next big thing" - i dont think Metal Blade works that way. They still promote bands that they like - if someone catches on, who knows. Like Metallica - and a lot of the bands they "discovered" move on to major labels too.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are the CDs just mixed Metal Blade artists? What about the DVD? Is that mixed live performances or one big concert?

5. Its all one big compilation, stuff from the very first comp Metal Blade ever did, to stuff from the newer artists. DVD is mixed performances, some live, some videos.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Are those bands you listed the ones on the comp?

I agree about "metal journalism" being MB's bread and butter - when I worked in radio I had contacts with them, and they were always one of the quickest to respond, send new releases, answer questions etc.

As for what will be the "Next Big Thing" in metal, I believe it depends on where you are located. For instance, electronic music/metal seems to be gaining popularity in the U.S., whereas highly technical stuff seems to be making a comeback in Europe, as far as I can tell.

7. thrash_jazz:

those are SOME of the bands on the comp. There are too many for me to list here .. you can probably find a full track list on the web somewhere.

I left out most of the better known bands:
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Sacred Reich, etc.

But here's a listing of who's on the DVD:
    Armored Saint
    Bitch
    Omen
    Lizzy Borden
    Nasty Savage
    Sacred Reich
    Cannibal Corpse
    Six Feet Under
    King's X
    GWAR
    Candlemass
    DRI
    Trouble
    Anvil
    Lethal
    Sacrifice
    Mercyful Fate
    Fates Warning
    Galactic Cowboys

8. I just finished reading the book last night. They in fact mention KORN as a type of music they wouldnt be interested in producing. It also suggests the "next big thing" will be a resurrgence of thrash and power metal. Now of course, this would make sense since its all Metal Blade handles for the most part .... so who knows. But a lot of older thrash bands and newer European power metal and thrash bands are happening right now, so for me, that would be very cool.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    sounds awesome. If only I had money... hmmm.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Any Amon Amarth, just out of curiosity?

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    WOW! I haven't seen/heard some of those names since high school (I graduated in 1990). Fates Warning used to be one of my favorite bands, "No Exit" has to be one of the best Prog Metal Albums of all time! I think I may have to stop by the local record store on the way home from work and pick that one up. I lost my cassette copy many, many years ago...

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wow, total flashback. Count me in.:cool: