Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A great example of why I hate ebay

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Truckdriver22, Jan 21, 2003.

1. I came across this item on ebay, it's supposedly draw by Matt Groening as a tribute to the 9/11 attacks.

Check it out here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3201760629

I mean, what kind of bull**** is this guy trying to pull? :mad:

And i don't know what gets me more mad: The bidder trying to make money off of this piece of **** or that 16 people have bid on it.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I can't believe the bid on that trash is over $64,000. If you look at the bid history for the item, you'll see that over half the bids (and all the high ones) were made by 0 or negative feedback bidders with sunglasses by their names. This is a dead giveaway that the seller made up a bunch of accounts with several bogus identities and bid on his own item to drive the price sky high. An experienced Ebayer would catch this immediately, and in fact, I am going to request to ebay to shut that auction down. I have used Ebay for quite some time and have had few to no bad transactions, and I've gotten some good deals. Ebay is at the far end of the "buyer beware" market, you need to know how it works and how to tell if a seller is credible to effectively use it. Ebay is a good market, you just have to be sharp to really get deals.

3. Forgery.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Did you guys not notice the name of the high bidder? The price has risen so high because the current high bidder "Thisisobviouslyfake" is taking care of things.

I think that this auction will be closed soon.

Honestly, without a certificate of authenticity, and a photo of Groening drawing the thing, anyone who bids on it is a moron who deserves to have their money taken from them.

Yes, the seller is a POS, but there are more of them than there are of us, guys. Sad, but true.

5. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Too right.

What ,or who, the hell are the "Simpons" anyway?
    It strikes me that by now Groening should know how to spell "simpsons" correctly.

Somebody needs a slap about the head.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So you blame ebay?????

Ebay is a vehicle. It's a medium that has provided something very valuable. Yet we, spoiled by the internet age we live in, can't accept that because any human being is free to set up an item for an auction, that maybe, possibly, someone will try and get away with something. How is this an example of why you hate ebay? Maybe this should be an example of why you hate greedy, opportunistic people? Are we so spoiled by the recent, young, new phenomenon that is the internet, that we can't see the benefits of it? Are our memories that short term? Can we not objectively look at this situation? Maybe it's an age gap thing, because while I'm still very young, I actually remember a time before computers, ATMs, fax machines and cell phones. Let's be thankful that ebay is there, that it works extremely well, and let's admit to ourselves that as is the case with most everything, someone will try and take advantage of it.

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Caveat emptor, baby.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

Forgive me, but anyone who bids on this deserves to be ripped off.

On the other hand, maybe someone out there wants a genuine drawing of "The Simpons":D

9. I guess your right jazzbo. I shouldn't hate Ebay, just the way people abuse it.

10. no: i DON'T deserve to be ripped off.
    :D
    i really doubt anyone could believe this. but then again...*reads sig* hmmm...

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Quote from the auction:

Oh! Well in that case it MUST be authentic!

brad cook

ps - did you see the "Update" at the end of the auction?
    "UPDATE: I have since been informed that the Twin Towers collapsed in 2001, not 2002."

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, i guess they don't put IQ restrictions on ebay

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Post 400!

Hasn't anyone noticed the drawing date is 9/11/02? How stupid is this guy?

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is this a trick question?

brad cook

15. Word.

But *how* can people be so stupid?? How??? Does that guy really think anyone is going to bid on that??

16. I am happy to inform you that the current bid is $16 million US. :rolleyes:

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Come on guys, Groening is known for his smiley faced suns.

I really cant believe the price and the fact that the person put the wrong date on the picture and on ebay and than corrects his mistake on ebay. I guess Matt wasnt very aware of the date in the state of mind he was in, crying on the page and all.

Horse pucky.

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    And it seems the current high bidder, diuige, is a legit eBay user (based on their rating/comments.) If they win, aren't they contractually obliged to purchase the item?

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i can't believe pepole will pay that much money for that

true simpsons fans kno why its not authentic

bp13

20. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Thats ridiculous. Doesn't even look decent.